Spirit 700 first refurb

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
We bought it new in 1994, and when one of the legs began to give out earlier this year, I found this forum.
The leg issue was quickly fixed thanks to lots of great input, and this made me go ahead with other wants.
I posted looking for another "half accessory grate", and thanks to BPratt, I ended up with not only the grate but a much better side tray solution.
Meanwhile I found locally a couple of donor grills, both early Silver B's, whose owners let me take pieces before they went to the dump. Tough to get a complete Weber in my wagon. One supplied a lid with green panel and bad end caps, and the other a pair of better caps, and they became my new slightly taller lid.
Pretty happy with what I have now, even more happy I found this site!

Attachments

• IMG-1922.JPG
    IMG-1922.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-0031.jpg
    IMG-0031.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 38
Welcome. Looks good!

Keep an eye out for rescue candidates.

It you keep a tarp, a box big enough to hold grates and Flav bars, along with a 7/16 wrench and some vice grips in your car you can tear down a grill pretty quick.

Welcome. Looks good!

Keep an eye out for rescue candidates.

It you keep a tarp, a box big enough to hold grates and Flav bars, along with a 7/16 wrench and some vice grips in your car you can tear down a grill pretty quick.
Well, it's all your fault. I followed your instructions, went out yesterday to look at a Silver B 4 miles away, just to "look" at it, and the damn thing stuck to my fingers and I lost $30.
Needs some internals, no rust at the anchor bolt (which broke off "easily""), and should clean up well. 3 sided panel will stay on
Thanks, Dan!?

Attachments

• IMG-0048.jpg
    IMG-0048.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0049.jpg
    IMG-0049.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0050.jpg
    IMG-0050.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-0051.jpg
    IMG-0051.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 27
That black Silver B that stuck to your fingers (ha!) has, in my opinion, the best end caps because the fasteners for the porcelain part are not bolts, like on my old Genesis. If that were mine, and if the parts were interchangeable, I would take those end caps and put them on the green lid. That's just because I like the end caps without bolts and green lids.

Either way, great work! I hope you are grilling this weekend!

Easy to get the silver b in proper operating condition, I'll use it instead of the 700 while I go through it more thoroughly.
thanks for all the input :)

And now I have port and starboard grills, thanks to the Gen 2 which turned up a few miles from me a couple of weeks ago.
Clearly I am at my limit. Only thing I may want to do would be to replace everything which resides below the green lid with a decent 1000.....

Attachments

• IMG-0091.jpg
    IMG-0091.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-0093.jpg
    IMG-0093.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0089.jpg
    IMG-0089.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-0094.jpg
    IMG-0094.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
That black Silver B that stuck to your fingers (ha!) has, in my opinion, the best end caps because the fasteners for the porcelain part are not bolts, like on my old Genesis. If that were mine, and if the parts were interchangeable, I would take those end caps and put them on the green lid. That's just because I like the end caps without bolts and green lids.

Either way, great work! I hope you are grilling this weekend!
Can you elaborate on this? I am not understanding what you mean? If it’s not bolts, what’s holding it together?

The hood end caps have studs in them that the lid attaches with, so you don’t see fasteners on the outsides of those end caps. I just like that look. It’s a subtle thing, but again I just like it.

Back