Spirit 500

Good question Bruce. I never got a new cookbox from Weber so I don't know. My semi- educated guess is they don't come already installed on the box.

Remove the lid
Removes the slide out grease pan
Remove the control knobs
Remove the control panel
Remove the manifold
Remove the burner tubes by prying them back towards the manifold
Remove the frame anchor bolt on the left side of firebox
To install just reverse the order

I am going to try to do the replacement this weekend. I have one question. What is the manifold? Per your instructions, I should remove it after the control panel but I don't know what it is.

Also what are these drip rails mentioned above?

dan

Last edited:
I am going to try to do the replacement this weekend. I have one question. What is the manifold? Per your instructions, I should remove it after the control panel but I don't know what it is.

dan
It is a pipe with the gas valves attached

It is under the control panel, attached by two bolts to the cook box. It is the part that has the gas valves on it. The propane hose runs directly into the manifold.

Well, I got it done. I have not had the nerve to fire the thing up yet but I will do that tomorrow. Took me almost five hours from beginning to end but I did a fair amount of tidying up along the way. I am fried. It was 80 degrees this afternoon too. Threw the old cookbox away. Bit of shame since all that was really wrong with it was that the drip tray rails had fallen off but I don't have anywhere to keep it.

Earlier in this post I think you said the mounting holes for the drip tray rails were damaged, which is why you needed a new cookbox. If that's the case then there would be no reason to save the old cookbox. It's garbage. Anyways, glad you got it all put back together.

I'll have to see what kind of job I did tomorrow. But I guess first I should make sure there is no gas leaking. I did not disconnect the gas; I just pulled the burner tubes out of the side of the cookbox without disconnecting them.

Back