Spirit 500

Dan Jones

I just discovered this site and signed up immediately. I have an ancient Spirit 500, well I guess it's from 1997 so it's not that ancient but it has seen a lot of wear and could use some TLC. I'm kind of fond of the old thing and I would like to somehow keep it running and not have to replace it.

The most recent thing that happened is that the bottom tray rails - which I should have replaced years ago - rusted and fell off. To make matters worse, three of the posts that they bolt into, on the underside of the cook-box also rusted and fell off. As far as I can see, I have two options:

1) Just bolt some new tray rails directly to the underside of the cook-box or

2) Replace the cook-box itself.

If I decide to do it properly and replace the cook-box, how hard a job is it? Has anyone done it before on one of these old grills? Are there perhaps any instructions or are there any Spirit 500 experts on this site that I could ask for hints and tips?

Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan.
Taking the cookbox off the frame is not complicated unless the bold on the left side is rusted and frozen into the cook box. It really sounds like your cookbox is in pretty tough shape and it may be better to find a donor grill to grab one from.
But, check this video out. It might give you some ideas on how to repair the frame.

I just discovered this site and signed up immediately. I have an ancient Spirit 500, well I guess it's from 1997 so it's not that ancient but it has seen a lot of wear and could use some TLC. I'm kind of fond of the old thing and I would like to somehow keep it running and not have to replace it.

The most recent thing that happened is that the bottom tray rails - which I should have replaced years ago - rusted and fell off. To make matters worse, three of the posts that they bolt into, on the underside of the cook-box also rusted and fell off. As far as I can see, I have two options:

1) Just bolt some new tray rails directly to the underside of the cook-box or

2) Replace the cook-box itself.

If I decide to do it properly and replace the cook-box, how hard a job is it? Has anyone done it before on one of these old grills? Are there perhaps any instructions or are there any Spirit 500 experts on this site that I could ask for hints and tips?

Dan
Post some pictures. It help generate ideas to see the problem.

I think I may be getting a new cook-box from Weber so I need to learn how to take the old one off. While I wait for the new one to arrive, I think I will just just bolt something directly to the bottom of the old cook-box so as to be able to attach the grease tray so I can actually use the grill while I wait for the new cook-box.

And I will watch that video before I do anything.

Dan, there are ways to get the bolt out even if it is rusted in or broken off. Don’t give up yet. I am not the expert so I hope some of the others here jump in with the proper method.

I may have got distracted by the mention of this bolt. All I need is some instructions on how to remover the cook-box and put in a new one. I don't actually know that this bolt (I don't even know where it is) is a problem on my grill. My problem is that I cannot attach the grease tray to the bottom of the cook-box because the mounting posts have been damaged.

Pictures of you grill would help a lot. There are 1 or 2 bolts holding the box to the frame. On the left side is 1 and a possible one on the right for for most Webers.

You're going to have to remove your control panel, manifold, burner tubes, grates, flavorizer bars, side table to see where the cookbox is attached to the frame. Good luck, we know you can do it!

I may have got distracted by the mention of this bolt. All I need is some instructions on how to remover the cook-box and put in a new one. I don't actually know that this bolt (I don't even know where it is) is a problem on my grill. My problem is that I cannot attach the grease tray to the bottom of the cook-box because the mounting posts have been damaged.
Are you talking about these? If so, there are a variety of fixes.

20201108_130159 Markup.png

Last edited:
If he is getting a new box from Weber, there isn't a lot of reason to try to fix the old one. On the older Genesis grills, I don't know of any cookboxes that are fastened to the frame by anything more than the single bold on the left side. Of course, to actually get the box out, you will need to remove the right side control panel, the manifold and burners as well.

If he is getting a new box from Weber, there isn't a lot of reason to try to fix the old one. On the older Genesis grills, I don't know of any cookboxes that are fastened to the frame by anything more than the single bold on the left side. Of course, to actually get the box out, you will need to remove the right side control panel, the manifold and burners as well.
But since he did not post pictures, and I did not know if it was a newer or older Spirit, I thought I would cover the bases.

I guess I had better check on this bolt that may screw everything
The pre-2007 Spirits and Genesis have one anchor bolt on the left side.
If you can’t get a cook box from Weber look for a 2 burner Genesis Silver A or 2 burner Spirit pre 2007 as a donor.

In the meantime you can drill small holes in your firebox and bolt through to hold the pan on a bracket.

Be careful with the large drip pan as they are hard to find

But since he did not post pictures, and I did not know if it was a newer or older Spirit, I thought I would cover the bases.
Joe: He mentioned it was an older grill in his original post: "I have an ancient Spirit 500, well I guess it's from 1997"

Joe, post 2007 ish the Spirit and Genesis use 2 bolts in various schemes. They have a “break” from the frame which is a better design in my opinion. The firebox thickness when down unfortunately so warping is an issue

Are you talking about these? If so, there are a variety of fixes.

View attachment 36832
Yes those are the problem. The only one remaining in good shape is the top right one in your picture. I have just used some JB Weld to fix the right side rail (old and rusty but still surviving) to what remains of the two right side mounting posts in your picture. So on the right side the "grease tray" is sitting in place as it should be. On the left side, I have just used some wire to hang the grease tray from the frame rails. I use this grill to do about half of my cooking so I need it to work and I hope this will keep it going until Weber send me the new cook-box. Whenever that happens, I will have to take the grill apart to install the new cook-box and I will just have to see how that goes.

And just to remind anyone who is still reading, this is a 1997 Spirit 500.

Last edited:
I just received my replacement cookbox from Weber. Can anyone point me to some instructions on how to take my old one off and replace it with the new one - hopefully without screwing anything else up along the way?

I just received my replacement cookbox from Weber. Can anyone point me to some instructions on how to take my old one off and replace it with the new one - hopefully without screwing anything else up along the way?
Remove the lid
Removes the slide out grease pan
Remove the control knobs
Remove the control panel
Remove the manifold
Remove the burner tubes by prying them back towards the manifold
Remove the frame anchor bolt on the left side of firebox
To install just reverse the order

Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions.

But if I did, I would think that follwing BPratt's list would get the job done. Stay away from the beer as you may want to use some power tools in the process and you should never mix alcohol and power tools.

Back