Spirit 500 & 700 "split" accessory rack

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
One thing I have never liked about my Spirit 700 is the relatively small rack under the firebox for storing tools, etc. , as compared with the much larger ones on contemporary machines. Even the 900 suffers from the fact that the smaller racks are more easily lost over the years than those in other designs,
The 85877 rack has been discontinued, and it seems like lots of owners of these machines would like to find them with little success.
I'd rather not remove the center bar, but I'm wondering if another full width rack (perhaps from a Genesis B, or A in the case of the 500, could be just cut into 2 pieces and mount on both sides of the bar?

Attachments

• 85877dimensions.png
    85877dimensions.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 85877placement.jpg
    85877placement.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 8
One thing I have never liked about my Spirit 700 is the relatively small rack under the firebox for storing tools, etc. , as compared with the much larger ones on contemporary machines. Even the 900 suffers from the fact that the smaller racks are more easily lost over the years than those in other designs,
The 85877 rack has been discontinued, and it seems like lots of owners of these machines would like to find them with little success.
I'd rather not remove the center bar, but I'm wondering if another full width rack (perhaps from a Genesis B, or A in the case of the 500, could be just cut into 2 pieces and mount on both sides of the bar?
Hi Hank, I have one. Take a look at the picture image.jpg

I did this on a 2-burner "frankengrill" Spirit/Silver:

Silver A for Billwood slats.jpeg

I used a regular Genesis 3-burner z-bar that I cut in half and rounded the corners to make two short z-bars to hold the three long, narrow slats. I thought it helped tie in the use of wood on the side shelf AND, like you mentioned, add some more useable space down below.

My concern would be the length of the rack. I am guessing it is longer on the Silver B. But maybe one from an A would work.

I tried one for size from a Silver B this afternoon, and it would fit, but be much more work than the 85877.

Back