Spiral Sliced Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
I was considering doing a spiral sliced ham this weekend with the Mustard & Whiskey Glaze found in the Let's Cook section.

Given that the ham just needs a little warming up, at what point do I apply the glaze? Under the original topic, the glaze is applied with about an hour to go and the pit temp is 325.

Should I run the WSM at 325 or can I do 225?
-----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Either temperature would be fine. In the Spiral-Sliced Ham - Sugar Glazed topic, I went with 250*F, but the package instructions called for 325*F.

I've not tried the mustard & whiskey glaze on a spiral-sliced ham at the lower cooker temp, but I think I would still apply the glaze about an hour before finishing.

Keep us posted on what you do,
Chris

Hi Mark,
I did a ham a few weeks ago, it was a cured shank end and I cooked it at 240*. I also used the mustard whiskey glaze but I dropped about a cup of sugar and used about the same of crushed pineapple. I heated it to melt the sugars and blenderized it to get rid of the chunks and was I amazed! That glaze rocks! I found the smoke flavor only on the outside edges of the ham but maybe a spiral would let more penetrate. Good luck and make sure you have enough glaze left over to serve with it. It will be devoured.
Dave

Dave,

That really does sound good!! I'll have to remember that and try it sometime (I have guests for this ham so it's not the time to expiriment). Let me get this straight...the Mustard & Whiskey glaze recipe calls for 1-1/4 cups of brown sugar and you are using only 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a cup of pineapple (or thereabouts)...correct?

Would anyone recommend serving up more Mustard/Whiskey glaze with dinner?

Hi Mark,
I just checked my notes to be sure. I dropped 1/2 cup of brown sugar and replaced that with crushed pineapple. I heated the whole mess over a double boiler to melt the sugars and then put the hand blender to it to get the left over chunks of pineapple. I noted the next day that although the glaze was the best thing I've ever had on ham it was still a little too sweet for me. I really like the flavor of pineapple with ham so that is why I was suggesting dropping the amount of brown sugar and upping the pineapple. Give it a go, suit your own sweet tooth, but the pineapple really works with the savory spicing in the glaze.
Dave

Well I cooked the ham this past Saturday. I got a late start so I decided to follow the directions on the ham and run the WSM at 325.

I used 2 chimneys full of Kingsford and 3 small chunks of dry apple wood. At 4pm the ham went on. The temp was around 400 in the dome so I closed the vent to about 35% and just let the temp fall from there. I basted the ham every half hour with watered-down Jack Daniels. At 5pm I applied the glaze and pulled the ham off at 6pm. The internal temp was 109. I wrapped it in foil and towels and let the meat rest for about 15 minutes then sliced it up.

The ham turned out wonderful. The exterior color along with the smell drew the oooos and ahhhhs. I whipped up an additional batch of glaze to serve with dinner which was a nice addition. And the smoke flavor was just about right. Not to over-powering at all.

If I could've done anything different, I would've like to set the ham on it's side and spread the slices a little to get more of the glaze down into the ham rather than just on the surface. Just have to remember to do that next time!!
------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back