Spicy Beef Empanadas

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
DH ground up some beef the other day, and while looking for some good ideas on how to use it besides burgers, I found this recipe.

Spicy Beef Empanadas

1 TB. olive oil
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 TB. chopped garlic
1/3 cup raisins, chopped
1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 1/2 TB. red wine vinegar
1 TB. all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup packed grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 oz.)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 12 oz. packages buttermilk biscuits
2 egg yolks, beaten to blend (glaze)

1. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add beef, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until beef loses its pink color and vegetables begin to soften, breaking up beef with fork, about 6 minutes. Add raisins and next 6 ingredients and cook until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Mix cheese and cilantro into filling. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill)
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Roll out 1 biscuit on lightly floured surface to 4" circle. Brush half of dough edge with glaze. Place 1 rounded tablespoon filling on dough. Fold dough over to create half circle; press edges to seal. Using fork tines, crimp edge decoratively. Place empanada on heavy large baking sheet. Brush with glaze Repeat with remaining biscuits, filling and glaze.
3. Bake empanadas until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Makes about 20

Source: Bon Appetit mag. Feb. 1992

Last edited:
Joan - recipe looks tasty! I studied south of the equator for awhile and empanadas became one of my favorites while I was there.

DH ground up some beef the other day, and while looking for some good ideas on how to use it besides burgers, I found this recipe.

Spicy Beef Empanadas

1 TB. olive oil
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 TB. chopped garlic
1/3 cup raisins, chopped
1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
1 1/2 TB. red wine vinegar
1 TB. all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup packed grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 oz.)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 12 oz. packages buttermilk biscuits
2 egg yolks, beaten to blend (glaze)

1. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add beef, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until beef loses its pink color and vegetables begin to soften, breaking up beef with fork, about 6 minutes. Add raisins and next 6 ingredients and cook until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Mix cheese and cilantro into filling. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill)
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Roll out 1 biscuit on lightly floured surface to 4" circle. Brush half of dough edge with glaze. Place 1 rounded tablespoon filling on dough. Fold dough over to create half circle; press edges to seal. Using fork times, crimp edge decoratively. Place empanada on heavy large baking sheet. Brush with glaze Repeat with remaining biscuits, filling and glaze.
3. Bake empanadas until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Makes about 20

Source: Bon Appetit mag. Feb. 1992
Sounds great.

Where are my manners? Sorry guys, I forgot to thank you both for your replys. THANK YOU lol

Hope you get around to trying these some day. After posting the recipe, DH reminded me that we have some in the freezer that he made. Don't know if he followed a recipe or winged it. Not here right now to ask.

Back