SPG Recipe?

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I do a 4 part kosher salt, 2 part granulated garlic, 1 part coarse black pepper rub. I use a hot East Carolina sauce. I’m considering adding paprika for color. Does anyone have a recommendation for the paprika?

I do a 4 part kosher salt, 2 part granulated garlic, 1 part coarse black pepper rub. I use a hot East Carolina sauce. I’m considering adding paprika for color. Does anyone have a recommendation for the paprika?
Jeff, since others in my household don’t like things to spicy hot I use smoked paprika instead of the hot. I use equal parts by volume of salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and smoked paprika.

Jeff, since others in my household don’t like things to spicy hot I use smoked paprika instead of the hot. I use equal parts by volume of salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and smoked paprika.
Does the equal part of pepper make it hot? My wife doesn’t like heat.

Jeff, black pepper will be somewhat hot no matter what but, it’s a “known” basic heat, most people don’t have too much trouble with that. It’s things like cayenne, chili peppers that more folks have trouble with.
I very much like Penzey’s smoked paprika. I don’t use paprika very much in rubs anymore as it has a tendency to burn. When smoking, that’s not quite as big an issue but, high heat? I don’t care for the singed flavor. Totally personal.

Jeff, black pepper will be somewhat hot no matter what but, it’s a “known” basic heat, most people don’t have too much trouble with that. It’s things like cayenne, chili peppers that more folks have trouble with.
I very much like Penzey’s smoked paprika. I don’t use paprika very much in rubs anymore as it has a tendency to burn. When smoking, that’s not quite as big an issue but, high heat? I don’t care for the singed flavor. Totally personal.
Thanks.

Does the equal part of pepper make it hot? My wife doesn’t like heat.
No Jeff, it’s not hot. I don’t like things hot either. Mix up a small amount and if it is too hot then add an equal amount of each ingredient except pepper to “water” it down. I don’t notice the singed flavour that Timothy mentions but I don’t have a sensitive taster. 🙂

I do equal parts kosher salt and coarse grind black pepper. I’ve been eyeballing the garlic powder. It’s gotta be the bigger garlic granular, the finer powder garlic tends to separate out.
I’ve had good luck with Sam’s garlic powder.
To answer the above, I found some good paprika at Aldi’s of all places. Works for my family.

Back