Speaking of "Enhanced"...

Jeff F

TVWBB Super Fan
I just pulled a turkey breast out of the fridge with the intention of brining it for roasting in the next day or two. My wife bought it, not me, so I didn't notice until I pulled it out that it has been injected with a "solution" that constitutes 15% by weight of the product. Seriously? 15%?? You sneaky, money-grubbing sonsa%$%$^$##s :mad::mad::mad:

Think I'll skip the brine. I don't think this poor thing could absorb another molecule of water.

#leavemymeatalone

Jeff,

Unfortunately this is the rule and not the exception especially with turkey. The best I can do outside of thanksgiving (when stores expand their turkey product offerings) without going to a specialty butcher is the honeysuckle white breasts which I believe have 3% solution retained.

Like Dave said at Thanksgiving time we hunt around until I can find some unenhanced birds and I buy four of them. One for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas and two for the summer cooks when I need a turkey fix. I've had them in the freezer up to eight months with no problems.

I like that idea, Rich. I'll stock up this November.

I'm used to some enhancement...I just thought 15% was pushing the envelope a bit.

Back