Speaking of Crossbars

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So speaking of cross bars on old Genesis grills. I thought I would show this photo of my dad's fully untouched totally original Genesis 2000 he bought in 1993. This one was pre durawood btw. Note it is pristine (other than being dirty). This reinforces my theory of why they go bad. His has lived in the garage most of it's life. Has never been "washed" and only been rained on a handful of times in it's life. I have always said the reason that bar goes bad is galvanic action (i.e. like a battery). Battery needs more than electrodes it needs electrolyte. Our grills that live outside get moisture (even when covered) as if you were to look at mine which during bad weather lives under a cover and the side bar has gone to hell in a handbasket. Water standing on the space between the cook box and the bar and it gets eaten up. Yeah I know it's filthy but I just don't have time to clean it and dad's 95. He doesn't even buy green bananas :D
1649681901042.jpeg

Water and moisture are for sure the big culprits. In South Florida, and other maritime locations, you can add ferocious salt air. Almost very old Genesis I got down there had rusted out z-bars and rusty screws holding the wood to them - nothing like your father's. That's amazing!

Yah, only probably 10% of the grills I rehab don't have some amount of rust and corrosion in that area. Some is just surface rust, but quite a few require remediation.

Back