Spatchcock or Separate?

I don't know if there are any Bob's Burgers fans on here, but I'm starting to feel like Bob about Thanksgiving, which is funny, because I've never really been a turkey fan. I've always liked ham more, but now that I'm smoking turkeys I think I'm going to enjoy Thanksgiving meals a lot more.

I would use a cleaver if I didn’t have shears. I won’t need it this year but, that’s the way the feast is headed this year.

That’s a completely different concept for me, which makes no sense, why on earth would anyone really do that?
“You can tie your donkey off to the Queen Mary but, why?” My Dad.
100% why I asked. I read that recipe, and said "Whaaaa?" and then looked up several others - they all had it split at the back. I figured I'd ask the experts here ;-)

I ended up smoking turkey sandwich sliders for a party, so I wanted a predictable result. Ended up separating the thighs and legs from the bird and then deboned and skinned the turkey breast. The dark meat turned out well, but the skin wasn't very good at all. After resting it just turned into a wet mess and, unfortunately, a lot of the seasoning went with it. I had put some rub under the skin of the thighs, but I don't think I was able to get enough in there and onto the drumstick itself. The meat was moist enough that I believe I could put it in the oven under the broiler for a bit to try and crisp up the skin. Maybe something to try next time.

Great thread, I have been processing ideas on cooking 3.5 lb chickens but chicken halves. So cut out the backbone, and then the breast bone and you should have 2 meal sized halves ready to go. Dry brine overnight..... Also throw in the indirect higher heat method with a bit of smoke and hope for great skin. Sounds like a great tasty meal, I watched a video recently where a guy was cutting birds in half, it made me think hey this looks easy and it's not a ton of work and I could get 4 halves going on the 22 for sure.

Great thread, I have been processing ideas on cooking 3.5 lb chickens but chicken halves. So cut out the backbone, and then the breast bone and you should have 2 meal sized halves ready to go. Dry brine overnight..... Also throw in the indirect higher heat method with a bit of smoke and hope for great skin. Sounds like a great tasty meal, I watched a video recently where a guy was cutting birds in half, it made me think hey this looks easy and it's not a ton of work and I could get 4 halves going on the 22 for sure.
If you're doing a lot of poultry on the kettle you may want to consider a vortex. I've heard they work wonders with BISO poultry

I did purchase a vortex but with the stock grill it would appear to be impossible to use a vortex in that situation with chicken halves.
I like this killa grilla idea where the vortex can be used with the full grill in place. That would work but I can't shell out that kind of money for that grill being in Canada.

Darryl I don't think 1 or 2 cooks here and there is gonna kill the stock grill... I use the SNS regularly and it has had no effect as of yet on the stock grate. Almost same amount of heat. But haven't used the vortex with the center on yet nor off center.

Exact same here for me, I would say possibly the side I use on the SNS doesn't open and close as smooth as the other anymore, or possibly it came like that, seems to get stuck almost closed sometimes. I also think that I haven't had the SNS up as high as the vortex yet either. I have cooked hot on it but not as hot as I can possibly make it. Either way I'm just going to use the SNS with 4 halves when I can get to it. The amount of time I get to bbq is way lower than the amount of time I want to bbq. I would like to blame someone for that, but it just isn't nice. :LOL:

Back