spares advice...

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
So i've been studying hard all week and had a test today (yep, a class on saturday!). Anyway, I decided to relax tonight. Just me, my kettle, and my golden retriever. So, I bought a rack of spares and a 6 pack of pale ale. Rubbed em down and down and fired up the performer. I'm cooking them indirect with hickory (no way I was going to wsm them (although I normally do) because I wanted to eat before midnight. Anyway...Kettle is probably running at about 375. Any ideas on how long this rack will take at that temp? I'm guessing on about 2 hours? It's about average size, and I left the tips on. I've never done a high heat spares cook, always cooked em low and slow. I'm not expecting great things, but I do have a 6 pack and would like to eat the spares before I'm done with it. Sooo...any ideas on time @ 375? 2 hrs sound about right?

better get another 6pk or so high heat does not make good ribs
icon_cool.gif

never done high heat ribs before...I would foil!.....GOD speed, let us know how they turn out

oh, what class is it?

Well, I think I had them on for about 1.75 hrs. I pulled them at 200 (yeah, first time i've ever tried to measure the temp of ribs). You know, they really weren't that bad. Keep in mind i've had 5 beers now, but they weren't. Not much of a smoke ring, maybe a millimeter. And obviously there was much more chew to them than a "low and slow" rib, although it did pull off pretty clean. I even ate the tips (I was intending to put them into some beans tomorrow). I was even happy with the sauce I lightly painted them with, one I concoted in a hurry. Anyway, were they spectacular? No. But if you adjust the taste/mouthfeel for the time I cooked them in I think they were great...

P

tony...Histology.
icon_smile.gif

I had done spares on the gasser with smoke wood pellets in my pre smoker years. They were fine. As good as you can get on the WSM? No, but still very tasty. I did them around 350 for a couple hours indirect, foiled with juice, then back on after that for glazing.
I saw Bobby Flay do a rack of B-Backs @ 500 degrees for an hour in the oven, then glaze and eat. They looked a little tuff for me.

Besides smoking ribs low and slow, I sometimes grill them. Now my upbringing grew up with this style of ribs, so personally I like it with a little more bite and the nawing on the bones adventure. Through the years I've learned to like low and slow smoked ribs, but sometimes I get the urge for grilled ribs and I do them with direct heat and I call it slow grilling.
First of all it doesn't take a lot of charcoal, 3/4 - full chimney in the kettle spread out evenly. I cook bone side down for 30 minutes then, flip to meat side down for another 30 minutes. I flip again and add sauce to the meat side. After 15-20 minutes I flip and add sauce to the bone side. after 10-15 minutes I flip and add sauce again to the meat side (by the way, just a thin layer of sauce every time). Cook another 10 minutes and pull them off.
I don't check the temp of the pit, I just cook and judge my times by how much "darkening" the meat is getting.

I have grilled ribs for a looooong time. What I would have done is baste the ribs and turn them every 15 to 20 mins. I use vinegar,garlic,seasoned salt,oregano,dried onions, black pepper in the baste. I have always had tender ribs. Not fall off the bone tender but not tough. After basting and turning I sauce them for about 20 mins using the baste and turn method. They are different from WSM but I would not say they are any better or worse.

Back