spareribs question

Jason in California

Closed Account
for people who square off spareribs, how long do you normally put those extra pieces of meat (skirt meat and cartilage meat) in the cooker for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About 4 hours for the tips for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same, at approx. 225*F. Smoking a couple racks today. Use the bits for my baked beans.

Till they're tender. They don't take long (I cook at 350-375 tho). I put them on the lower grate and check after a while for tenderness. Once done I pull them out through the door.

The skirt is the special treat I get at about the 2 hr mark for all my hard work of watching my WSM smoke the other pieces of the spares.

Mike

For me, the skirt usually goes into beans, stews, or chili. Rib tips are cooked with the ribs and used as 'samplers'.

I throw it all out. The tips, with lots of fat and cartilage, are not appreciated no matter how tender I get them. They're just too fatty and cartilagy (I made that word up).

You guys gotta be kidding
icon_eek.gif
Pitch that stuff out!!! NO WAY jose. I helped a guy out at a comp one time and he was going to do just that so he said I could take them home. I fed seven people with all the trimmings . Unfortunately, the skirts never made the table
icon_wink.gif
. Grandkids love them cause the tips are easier for them to eat. Lots of uses for them thar cut pieces.

Back