Spare vs. Baby Back

i have never had spares that were as meaty as the loinbacks.

they're also the same price here (i live in pork country apparently)

just bought 7 racks of BBs (SUPER meaty) for 2.49/lb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Hmmm are you sure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my area (Central TX), HEB doesn't carry anything special. Normally it's Hormel for spares. As Kevin posted, there's only a handful of processors and they supply virtually all of the large grocery chains. HEB carries the standard major processor's products (pork and poultry). And as he also stated those products are usually enhanced which means added salt and water. If HEB were to carry a higher quality product they would most likely have to charge more for that product; which they don't. I could be wrong, but I would think HEB would advertise the fact if they were carrying something better than the competition. I do know that some of their beef actually comes from Mexico which I find somewhat amazing seeing that Texas is such a big cattle state. I could have sworn they actually ran a TV ad promoting their TX beef not too long ago. One day I go into the store and the label on some beef read 'product of Mexico'. I asked the staff behind the counter about this indicating it was contrary to their ad. They stated HEB never advertised such a claim...

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I find odd. HEB ads are playing like crazy here about their beef being so fresh and with no salt or preservative.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom (Gunner): Does anyone have anything against Hormel's or are they of lesser quality then say Costco spares? Jewel is in walking distance of us so that is why I get them there and they are on sale often
(or wait, reading more...are all Hormel St. Louis Spares "Enhanced"?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Hormel package says "Always Tender" than it has been enhanced. I've changed my thinking on Hormel's "Always Tender" ribs as I never used to buy them. I tried them once in a pinch and I've got to say that they are just about as good as the regular ribs I used to buy from Sam's Club. With a little experimentation (cutting back salt in the rub, etc.) I have no problem making and serving these. Also, they seem to be on sale throughout the summer at different stores/times and I always pick up a few racks then.

Wow, at my local HEB all they sell is smithfield or the HEB brand processed in San Antonio, personally i have never seen Hormel ribs at my HEB.

I checked out the Hormels on sale at my hy vee store. They did not look good. I didn't memorize the plastic package, but it something like 'up to xx% added fluid for tenderizing and taste'

I passed one these and will search out some better.

chad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ToddBP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom (Gunner): Does anyone have anything against Hormel's or are they of lesser quality then say Costco spares? Jewel is in walking distance of us so that is why I get them there and they are on sale often
(or wait, reading more...are all Hormel St. Louis Spares "Enhanced"?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Hormel package says "Always Tender" than it has been enhanced. I've changed my thinking on Hormel's "Always Tender" ribs as I never used to buy them. I tried them once in a pinch and I've got to say that they are just about as good as the regular ribs I used to buy from Sam's Club. With a little experimentation (cutting back salt in the rub, etc.) I have no problem making and serving these. Also, they seem to be on sale throughout the summer at different stores/times and I always pick up a few racks then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info Todd! The Hormel's certainly aren't my first choice, but they are hard to pass up when on sale. And they taste good to me, so why not I guess?

My family and I prefer baby backs over spares even if sometimes they are enhanced you just can't go salt crazy with your rub. Yeh I know,I'm not a pork purest,so sue me. I buy what I like at the price I can afford at what ever store I'm shopping at because for me it's about being able to feed my family on a tight budget just as long as I can make it taste good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad_M:
I did my first ribs (BB) on the WSM a couple weeks ago and they were OK. Too much run and a little to thick of meat for what I imagine a good rib is.

Our local grocery has hormel spares on sale tomorrow for 1.99/lb so I am going to hopefully find a couple frozen and bring home for later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My local HyVee had this deal. St. Louis trimmed spares for $1.99. Couldn't pass it up.

I prefer spares as I find the meat richer and more succulent, likely due to the fat content. I trim them and give the trimmings - if any arw left - to my neighbours teenagers. They don't last long!

Back