Spare Ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have seen a lot of discussion about spare ribs and have what might seem like a stupid question. Are they generally talking about beef or pork ribs?

When you see a discussion of spare ribs it is almost always referring to pork spares and pork baby back ribs. Not a lot of people smoke beef ribs, at least not that I've seen. I think it is hard to get them to come out real tender. I keep meaning to try them, but haven't got around to it yet.
Doug W

The Web site topic Pork Rib Selection & Prep explains the difference between pork spareribs and pork loin back (or baby back) ribs, including a diagram showing where they come off the pig. They are two different cuts of meat altogether.

Beef ribs are usually just referred to as beef ribs.

Regards,
Chris

I purchased the ribs at smart and final last night, all they had were packages labeled with pork back ribs or spare ribs. The ribs I purchased didn't say either way. I just assumed they were beef. The marking on the plastic said the packer was ICB company I believe.Now I'm not sure what I have.

Beef ribs are very big, the bone itself can be 1 1/2" thick, a rack of ribs would be very large, chance are you have pork spare ribs. The ribs would weight 3 to 5 pound range aprox if pork.
Jim

Thanks for the help, it appears to be pork that I purchased. Three racks in one package with total weight of about 12lbs.
I'll let you know how the come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back