Spare Ribs, Tri-Tips & My WSM, Long

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Day before yesterday I did 2 roasts and a rack of ribs that I was really happy with. Tried a slice of roast on the UPS Driver and his first comment was that it beat the local BBQ place.

Well I don't remove the unused charcoal from the smoker. I just close the vents and when its out shake the ashes down, lift the charcoal rack out, dump the ashes and put it back together. Whats in there is seasoned so to speak And that is what made the fire for this BBQ that I was happy with.

Today I did 2 more roasts and another rack of ribs. With no water in the WSM pan, I took it out at 2 hrs. and made gravy out of the drippings. I replaced it with a Brinkman pan with water in it. The ribs were awsome again, but the beef had just a bite of Briquette taste. Seems that I had to add some Kingsford Briquettes for the Minion method to have enough fire. The unseasoned charcoal must have gave it the taste.

I had the same taste out of my Brinkman and switched to lump which cured it. So now I need to use lump or I could fire up a chimney full of briquettes when the Polder is within a few degrees of removing the meat. Take the meat out, dump in the new chimney full and close the vents to put out the fire. This will give me seasoned charcoal without the bad taste next time.

Where am I going wrong?? Will it work?? Oh, and the family don't mind the taste, just me.

What are using for wood?
The ribs are good but the beef is taking on this flavor?
Is the beef and ribs cook at the same time?
Kingsford makes a few different charcoal products which are you using?
Need more info.
Jim

Kingsford Original Briquets is what it says on the bag.
Tri-Tip on the bottom rack and ribs on the top rack.
4 hickory lumps for smoke

Hickory is great on pork, I personely would good lighter maybe 2 chunks.
The Tri Tip, oak or fruitwoods would be my choice and I would grill rather than smoke with the ribs.
If you do smoke the ribs and tri tip together again, try it with something rather than hickory and see if that doesn't cure the problem for the beef.
I have used Kingsford at Royal and got up on stage twice, you can cook good BBQ with it.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back