Spare Ribs Questions

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I am doing spare ribs for the first time this weekend and I am not exactly sure how I am going to cook them. I have done baby backs a number of times and they always turn out great. I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours @ 230, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour with sauce. I baste with apple juice/jack combo periodically. Will this method work well with the spares too? If someone has a better method I am open to ideas.

Thanks again. This forum is great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Ko:
I am doing spare ribs for the first time this weekend and I am not exactly sure how I am going to cook them. I have done baby backs a number of times and they always turn out great. I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours @ 230, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour with sauce. I baste with apple juice/jack combo periodically. Will this method work well with the spares too? If someone has a better method I am open to ideas.

Thanks again. This forum is great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That method will work fine for spares. I actually foil loin backs for only about 45 minutes to 1 hour max and spares for just about 1 hour. But if you prefer ribs closer to the falling off the bone stage, foiling longer will give you better results!

for baby backs I found the 3-2-1 method (6 hours) to be way too long.

For spares I'd definitely stick with the 3-2-1....especially if you're familiar with the process.

Personally, before I foil I drizzle in some (not a lot) of my basting/spray liquid into the foil "package" and wrap them up tight. Then the last hour I finish them off with a think BBQ sauce.

Always had good results that way.

Looking forward to the weekend!!

I am also doing spares today and was wondering if the cook time for St. Louis style spares is similar to the time for BB?

Back