Spare Ribs cookin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Put three slabs of spare ribs on the WSM at 11:30, using a mixture of Kamado extruded coconut charcoal, left over from last cook, and Royal Oak Lump. Minion method with sand in the pan.

90 minutes later, lid temp is 249 top cooking grate at 226, been steady like this +/- 2 since 11:55am.

Rubbed the slabs with Bone Suckin' Dry Rub, Dizzy Pig Original Rub and KC Masterpiece Dry Rub.

I will probably wrap one slab in foil at the three hour mark for the wife and kids, they like falling off the bone. The other two slabs I'm leaving them alone until they're done.

Will be checking in throughout the day...anyone else cooking today?

Unfortunately no smoking for me this weekend, did ribs last weekend and the wife complains if we eat BBQ every weekend.

Let us know how the Bone Sucking Rub turns out. My cousin used it and said it was okay but not great...then again he did the ribs in the oven.
icon_eek.gif

Bruce, sounds good to me. What's up with all the rubs. Sounds good just curious if you mix all 3 toghether or use a different rub on each rack. Yeah i'm going to fire up the bullet for an 18.5 lb chuck roll. Planning on putting the meat on at 5 today for dinner tomorrow night. Going to use the guru for the first time with Royal Oak Lump. Would love to try the extruded coconut but havn't ordered any yet. How do you like it, Bryan

Jim,

I have used the Bone Suckin' Rub before and I really like it. It has a sweeter taste as opposed to salty, like most commercial rubs.

Bryan; I am one of those guys who really like to try different rubs and when I read of successful comp teams that produce their own rubs I will try them. I did a slab of each.

Really looking forward to the texasbbqrub, hopefully if it's as good as everyone says I can end my search for "the perfect rub", if there is such a thing. It's all a matter of experimentation, if I find one I really like I'll stick with it.

I can't say enough good things about the Kamado charcoal. I bought 10 boxes from Jerry N when he ordered a pallet. Long burn times, very little if any ash, and if using a full charcoal ring you will definitely have some left over for your next cook. I'm doing a brisket on Sunday with it, probably a 16 hour cook and I'm sure I'll have some left.

Yeah Bruce...doing a brisket for tonight. When its done, I'll be throwing a shoulder on for pool party @ my brothers and after that, I'll be throwing on another shoulder for my sons friends coming over on Sunday. WSM will be going steady for the next 2 days & nites.

Nick P.

Sounds good Bruce!

Where do you find the Bone Suckin' Rub? I love the sauce but never ran across the rub.

Bruce, me gots 2 slabs of spares on right now. Started them at 12pm EST!!

Also doing 13 chicken thighs on the Silver B around 5:30pm to finish with the ribs around 6:30pm or so. Going to foil the ribs around 3:30pm for an hour or two. Guests like them more falling off the bone than not!

Good luck and happy Q'in to ya!!

Jim, I had to laugh when I read your post. This summer, I'm smoking about once every three weeks, and my wife still says she feels like I'm doing it every weekend (and I eat most of it myself!)

I will be doing ribs and ABT's tommorrow. I've recently taken up spraying my ribs with pineapple juice after the first 3 hours every half hour. I don't do it for moisture, but it adds a great hint of flavor and a little sweetness.

Bruce, thanks for the info. Hope you like the Texas BBQ Rub should be there tomorrow.I really like it cause it's sweet not salty. I have to get some of the extruded coconut charcoal. Dying to try it. Bryan

Kendra,

I bought the Bone Suckin' Rub at a Cracker Barrel when I went down south. They also sell it through their web site, those are the only two places I have seen it.

Rib Results: Pretty good, I'd give two slabs a high 8 and one slab a low 7. The low 7 slab was just a little dry. for my taste but the other two were very tender and very very nearly falling off the bone.

I have decided though that it's babybacks from now on. There's something about spares that I'm missing yet I can do knock out BB's.

Well thanks for tagging along, let's all keep a good thought for the folks in Florida tonight, and good luck to you all on your cooks.

Bruce, my 2 slabs were both high 8's according to the guests. Wrapped them in foil for 2 hours and then finished them unwrapped for another hour and change. Not fall off the bone but hardly a tug and they came right off...and tender...wow...the rub was good too...just a side of sauce(sweet baby rays)when I wanted some extra juice.

Glad to hear yours were alright as well! Take care and have a great weekend!

Jim and Art B

I know what you mean about the wife complaining about too much smoked food. I get the same reaction. I've found working in a lightly smoked turkey or beef rib roast helps me get back to a pork smoke with fewer complaints.

A week or so ago I thought about starting a new thread on the topic "Does your spouse complain about too much smoked meat?" What do you think?

Griff

Griff,

I generally don't recommend replacing wives. From personal experience, it is an expensive hobby and one can end up losing posession of valuable things (like your WSM).

You might consider some recipes without wood smoke flavoring and try using the WSM more one would use a charcoal fired brick oven. I saw some interesting recipes that used dutch ovens and next weekend I'm going to give Peking duck a go.

Be creative. In the long-run it's cheaper.
icon_wink.gif

Greg,
They were funny. I called Weber earlier this year to order a couple of parts for my gasser. I was talking to the rep. and telling him how great there products were and that they last forever (my gas grill is 12 years old with the original burner). Me told me he was on his second and I said "can't be"! He said yes, him and his wife just got divorced and she got the grill in the settlement. So that just goes to show how expensive it can be!

Nick P.

Bruce, out of the 3 rubs you used which one do you like best. I'm a rub'aholic myself. I want to try the dizzy pig heard good things about it. Thanks Bryan

Chet,

I'd appreciate it it you would do a post with the Peking duck info. Duck is one of my favorites. I've been day dreaming about a couple quackers on the WSM.

Thanks....Griff

Griff, Chet's peking duck recipe is posted on the forum. Go to Recipes lok under poultry it's the first one. Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back