Spare Rib Wet or Dry?

Derek-IN

I bought about 45 pounds of spare ribs today, local store had a one day sale at .99 cents a pound and I couldn't pass up a bargain like that. I wondering how some of you folks here do them, do you use a dry rub only or do you combine that with some sauce brushed on? Any good ideas for spares?

I'm with Brian on this one. I prefer dry, taste the ribs not sauce. It is certainly a matter of preference. You will just have to "suffer" through trying ribs different ways to see what you like.

My wife and I were talking about this recently. Before I started smoking ribs at home we would eat ribs with sauce (usually at restaurants and bbq places). Since I got the WSM and smoked them myself we very rarely use sauce. When I made ribs for my sister-in-law and her kids, I convinced them to try the ribs without sauce. Now they are sauce free converts.

I still have to chuckle about my one neice. She was 22 years old at the time. The first time she had my smoked ribs her eyes got real big and blurted out that the ribs were "orgazmic". Of course, there was no sauce on them.

I vote for sauced. Run them under the broiler for a minute after you pull them off the WSM. I don't like them dripping in the sauce either. Just enough to add flavor. I have tried many sauces, but the Wifey and Son always want me to go back to KC Masterpiece that I doctor up with honey and some other items.
icon_wink.gif
It's not my first pick of sauce, but I do like it.

Originally posted by Bob T.:
I vote for sauced. Run them under the broiler for a minute after you pull them off the WSM. I don't like them dripping in the sauce either. Just enough to add flavor. I have tried many sauces, but the Wifey and Son always want me to go back to KC Masterpiece that I doctor up with honey and some other items.
icon_wink.gif
Don't suppose you'd want to share those "other items", would ya?

Originally posted by Charles Howse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
icon_wink.gif
Don't suppose you'd want to share those "other items", would ya? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would if I did the same thing all the time lol. I should start to keep track of what I do in case I want to match it some day if I enter comps.

I like them both ways. But if i sauce them it's a lite coating and the only sauce i use is Head Country Regular and Hot. We just love their sauce.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice guys, especially the link on trimming them. I think I'll try one rack dry and the other wet and see how that goes. I'll have enough ribs for a few trys anyway! thanks!

Hey Bryan

Head country regular and hickory flavor here nothing else.i did get some Big Bob gibsons for xmas though.
Derek
Ribs are always dry with sauce to the side for dipping if wanted. I only put sauce on chicken the last few minutes to set it to the skin.With enough cooks your table will probably become absent of sauce also.

Seeeuuu
jeff

I like sauce. However its a nice thin coat that I put on while on the smoker.

Ribs just aren't ribs with-out a little sauce.

I'm sure I wouldn't complain if I didn't have sauce on them when cooked right!

My method for Qing spares is stolen from a number of sources

Trim KC style

brush with a THIN coat of mustard sprinkle with rub let sit while I mess with WSM

Put ribs on meat side up OR in rib rack

2-3 hrs @ 250*

brush lightly with sauce

2-3 hrs @ 250*

pull when meat has pulled back aobut 1/4 - 1/2 inch and ribs droop "properly"

As ribs come off the WSM, paiint with Danny G's glaze

Cutinto serving portions

Danny G's glaze
Ribs - Danny Gaulden's Modified Rib Glaze 5-10-2003

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar -- to 1/3 cup

Posted by Danny on May 10, 2003 at 15:18:33:

Your pork will turn out with that deep, shiny, burnt cherry look, and the mustard is enough for flavoring, without turning the meat yellow.

All ingredients need to be mixed at room temperature to prevent separation. Heat until it gets to a simmer and stir a few times during the process. Allow to rest until cool, for this makes it thicken and stick to the meat better. Enjoy.

Apply to ribs IMMEDIATELY after taking them off the pit. One heavy glaze will do. Use a pastry brush.
If using glaze on butts, loins, or tenderloins, apply a couple of times about 20 minutes or so before removing meat from pit, then once again after meat is off. This is if you are cooking indirect, not over direct heat.

Hey Derek, Picked up about 22 lbs at the same place. I like the ribs dry.Been looking for a good all purpose dry rub. Been experimenting with different concoctions. So far haven't found anything I'd want to spend the rest of my life with. The rest of the family prefers wet.
Originally posted by Derek:
I bought about 45 pounds of spare ribs today, local store had a one day sale at .99 cents a pound and I couldn't pass up a bargain like that. I wondering how some of you folks here do them, do you use a dry rub only or do you combine that with some sauce brushed on? Any good ideas for spares?

Originally posted by paul h:
Hey Derek, Picked up about 22 lbs at the same place. I like the ribs dry.Been looking for a good all purpose dry rub. Been experimenting with different concoctions. So far haven't found anything I'd want to spend the rest of my life with. The rest of the family prefers wet.

here's a copy of the memphis style dry rib rubmy wife and i like. i orginally got the receipe from steven raichlen's "how to grill" but it has also been published on his bbq u site.

We had the father of friends over a while back. The older gent informed us he did not care for BBQ. Three plates later he explained he loved that we served all our Q dry
icon_wink.gif
I always have good luck with St. Louis trimming, apply a very light coat of spicy brown mustard and a medium coat of rub no more than two hours before cooking.

I use a "damp rub". What I do is wet the ribs in Worchestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins-the ONLY one to use) then put the rub on and I think it causes the rub to "take" better. I use a mop w/ sauce diluted w/ dark beer then a light layer of sauce-not too heavy.

Originally posted by paul h:

I did a rack Sunday, half wet and half dry. Used the texas Sugarless Sprinkle on the recipe page. I liked it but my wife liked the wet ribs better. Still more experimenting to do!

Paul, I had to have my wife go in and buy two packs of the ribs and I did the same, wish I would have went back and bought more. have you ever tried Dewigs? I haven't been there for a few years. later!

Derek, Dewigs has good quality meats but pricey. I just wait until the stuff goes on sale and load up on it. Wesselman's has pork butts on sale a lot. Around 89 - 98 cents a pound. I can get them in the 9-10 lb range. I wish I could have got more of the ribs but ran out of freezer space. Walmart has packer briskets for $1.28/lb just about all the time.

Back