Spare Rib Timing

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
Do spare ribs get the same 2-1-1 treatment or do they need more time? I keep under or over cooking my ribs, I'm trying to get this one done correctly.

They are going to require more time. My spares usally go in the 7 hour range depending at what temp I'm cooking. Have had the best success when smoking for about 5 hours then foil for 1 hour, then put them back on the smoker to finish up. I usally cook in the 275 degree range. Hope that helps.

I do my spares at 250* lid temp. from anywhere from 4 to 5 hours. I test them with the "bend test" and when a rib bone will pull from the other bone with a little rsistence but not fall out or off the bone. Or if I am in a crunch for time, like yesterday I did the 3-1-1, cook 3 hrs on smoker, 1 hr in foil and then 1 hr back on smoker to firm up and add my glaze.

Yesterday's spares went 4 - 1 - 1.5 @ 250 grate and were perfect. I'm typically at 6.5 - 7 hours on my spare cooks.

Lately, I have not been foiling my spares.
I put them on cold at the start and keep them at 225 for the 1st hour or so to get a nice thick smoke ring, and then let em cook at 250+ the rest of the time. I start spraying them with apple juice after about 4 hours every ½ to ¾ an hour. Total time is around 7 hours give or take. They always turn out great. One guy at work saw them and said there was too much pink in the meat. I had to explain that pork is not pink, that was from the smoke. I use cherry and/or apple chucks when I can get them.

Back