Spalted Wood

Bren H

TVWBB Fan
I acquired some Beech Wood a couple of weeks back and I have noticed that it is Spalted and has mould growing on it, I assume the mould will go after it seasons but will the wood be OK to use for smoking. Should I keep it??

I'm not sure if I would bother. The mold might not go during seasoning and there are likely other things causing the spalting--a few kinds of fungi, e.g. Whether or not if would affect the flavor I don't know. I think the possibility is there, especially if the spalting is significant.

I dson't know how common spalted wood is in your area but you might want to see if there is a woodworker or wood turner that would be interested in it.

I was going to ask what spalted wood was but hit Google first.

What is it?
Spalting is a by-product of the rotting process that is carried out by a vast array of stain, mold and decay fungi, that are found naturally on the forest floor. When the temperature and humidity are right, spalting can cause many different and beautiful patterns in rotting wood. The unusual colouration may be due to chemically induced reactions between the wood, fungi and insect deposits, often resulting in black, pink, grey and multicoloured streaked wood.

I've ingested a few odd things in my younger days but I'm thinking I would be rather hesitant to cook my food over smoldering fungus and insect droppings.
icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif
The spalting in beech wood is very common and this tree was still growing when it was cut down, the logs I got had just been cut so there is no insect infestation, the logs just have darker colour wood in the centre. I'll try some and see what happens.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back