Southwest Discada Cooking Plow Disks

Originally posted by Mike Resler:
In the 30 plus years that I have been going to Sonora Mexico, I have always seen these plow disc's being used to deep fry the fresh fish for fish tacos. The only difference is that they also weld a 2 or 3 inch rim around the outside to make it safer for deep frying over an open propane flame. They call this method "Al disco" It makes for some VERY VERY tastey fish tacos!

MIke, looking at the bigger 24" disc, it looks like it has much higher and angldd sides and a flatter bottom. I'm thinking that would be pretty nice for deep frying.

Now I'm thinking I need two discs!

Here's what I need though. The wife posed a solid question to me in an effort to block this latest of a string of purchases for the kettle.

She asked, if you're not cooking over the coal, you're not getting the coal flavor... so what's the big advantage? Won't it taste the same if you used the wok we have inside on the cooktop?

I bantered about all sorts of things, but she pretty much didn't buy any of it and just looked at me and said "you just want another toy, don't you?"

Any good comebacks?

Originally posted by Chris Stanek:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Resler:
In the 30 plus years that I have been going to Sonora Mexico, I have always seen these plow disc's being used to deep fry the fresh fish for fish tacos. The only difference is that they also weld a 2 or 3 inch rim around the outside to make it safer for deep frying over an open propane flame. They call this method "Al disco" It makes for some VERY VERY tastey fish tacos!

MIke, looking at the bigger 24" disc, it looks like it has much higher and angldd sides and a flatter bottom. I'm thinking that would be pretty nice for deep frying.

Now I'm thinking I need two discs!

Here's what I need though. The wife posed a solid question to me in an effort to block this latest of a string of purchases for the kettle.

She asked, if you're not cooking over the coal, you're not getting the coal flavor... so what's the big advantage? Won't it taste the same if you used the wok we have inside on the cooktop?

I bantered about all sorts of things, but she pretty much didn't buy any of it and just looked at me and said "you just want another toy, don't you?"

Any good comebacks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CS- remember the lady is always right.

Do we "need it" no.

This is something for outdoor cooking fun. The charcol thing is a heat source and just looks cool when you got a couple of kettles going at a party.

I used the 24" discada last weekend and it was very easy to use and liked the higher sides to control temps by moving the foood off of the center heat. People were loving the smell of fajitas being cooked out doors.

My wife also protested but if you make some nice dishes and buy some diamond stud ear rings, maybe she will get over it.

the 24" is real heavy.

Good luck

"Any good comebacks?"
well, i think comebacks are overrated....
if your wife is concerned about your cookin' "toy" collection...
my answer is simple.

"You cook!"

and if that does not <span class="ev_code_GREY">shut her up</span> (please excuse my German), grill or smoke something OUTSTANDING for ONE.... you.

She'll come around.

remember, the old saying WAS, "the way to a MAN'S heart is through his stomach"... well, that's ALL changed.

Chris, when she stated "You just want another toy don't you"? Just say Yes! Why not? She should be happy you are Weber enthusiast. Have her do some prep work and make it a team effort. She will soon realize how much fun it is to enjoy the fruits of your labor together and then share it with others.
icon_smile.gif

Good tips. We talked about it this weekend... she was actually asking what benefit there would be since you don't really get any charcoal flavor.

I told her other than having something cool to cook on... nothing really. I got the blessing... I'm ordering this week.

Good for you Chris!
Now, when you do receive it, make something very special for your lovely wife, she most certainly will thank you for it AND! agree it was a wonderful purchase!

I am convinced there is a HUGE difference compared to cooking on a wok inside. I never would have thought so until I started using the discada for more and more cooks.

Outdoors, you can use a lot more heat.... Ignoring the massive amounts of steam and fumes that would stink up your house for days. I use TONS of onions and garlic, and since it is outside.... I don't even notice. You can do chorizo and bacon... All kinds of strong flavors.

With Asian food, a lot of great sauces can be high in garlic, sugar, ginger, onion, etc.... They also get burned onto the disc at the end. It's easy to clean off, but you don't even have to think about the smell of all that burnt sugar.

It would work great for Indian Curries. Get the huge one if you can... I bought it as a gift for my brother and he lost his mind with happiness.

Originally posted by Ernie D:
I am convinced there is a HUGE difference compared to cooking on a wok inside. I never would have thought so until I started using the discada for more and more cooks.

Outdoors, you can use a lot more heat.... Ignoring the massive amounts of steam and fumes that would stink up your house for days. I use TONS of onions and garlic, and since it is outside.... I don't even notice. You can do chorizo and bacon... All kinds of strong flavors.

With Asian food, a lot of great sauces can be high in garlic, sugar, ginger, onion, etc.... They also get burned onto the disc at the end. It's easy to clean off, but you don't even have to think about the smell of all that burnt sugar.

It would work great for Indian Curries. Get the huge one if you can... I bought it as a gift for my brother and he lost his mind with happiness.

That's good to hear. I'm planning a menu that will use all my Weber's at once. Calimari in the discada then pizzas in the others.

Ernie is completely right on with his latest comments.
And if you haven't seen this Discada Plow Disk in action, check out Ernie's cookin' skills using this product!
REASON ENOUGH to consider a purchase.

Again, I swear to my God, I do NOT get anything for promoting this product. I simply love GREAT products that live up to their expectations. And that's why I'm here, cookin' on Weber products.

Back