Sourdough

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Wizard
Baked this rustic loaf yesterday evening:
Sourdough.jpg
Really simple recipe, not much active prep time and makes a nice loaf.

3 1/2 cups AP flour
1 TBSP Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups filtered water
2+ cups active starter (see note below)

In a medium mixer bowl, stir salt into flour, add starter and water. Mix on slowest setting with dough hook for 10 minutes. Dump onto floured counter, stretch and fold 10 or 12 times then gently shape into a ball. Coat a large bowl with olive oil, drop in dough ball, turning so it's completely covered in oil and cover with Saran wrap. Allow to rest until size increases by ~2/3. Remove Saran wrap and turn bowl over onto a sheet of parchment. Pre-heat oven to 450F and then preheat Dutch oven for 30 minutes. Remove bowl and using corners of the parchment, lift the dough and set into Dutch oven, cut a couple of 1/2" deep slits in top (I use scissors) cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid, bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes for desired crust color, turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool for several hours.

Note:
I store ~2 TBSP of my starter in a loosely covered12-ounce jar, in the fridge. It often sits, without feeding, for 4 to 6 weeks between uses. When ready to use, I sit it out on the counter in the morning, allow it to come to room temperature, stir in 1/4 cup AP flour and 2 TBSP filtered water, then let it work until the next morning. Next, it's mixed into 2 cups of AP flour and 1 cup filtered room temperature water and allowed to work until it's nearly doubled in size. I save and refrigerate ~ 2 TBSP and the remaining 2+ cups go into the dough.

After feeding weekly for several months, my starter hadn't developed a noticeable sourdough tang. I decided to abuse it by not feeding or using it nearly as often and, over a few more months, it developed nicely. I also think decreasing the hydration helped. If your starter is bland, I encourage you to try this approach with a bit of it.

Last edited:
Very nice! I began my very first sourdough starter over the weekend.
Thanks!

Don't be discouraged if you don't get stellar results with your first few loaves. Cultivating a good starter isn't always as quick and easy as it sounds. If you haven't considered it yet, you can make good use of your starter discards.

Good luck.

Thanks!

Don't be discouraged if you don't get stellar results with your first few loaves. Cultivating a good starter isn't always as quick and easy as it sounds.

I worked on Sourdough a bit in 2020, yet never achieved results that justified the time invested.

I probably need to un-learn what I was doing and try again.

I make sourdough bread, waffles, pancakes, English muffins among other things. I prefer and use San Francisco starter which is unique to the Bay Area. I’ve used it for close to 30 years. I love the taste but it’s a bit different to work with.

When I make sour dread, I like to let it rise for 12 to 16 hours as that really brings out the sour taste. My starter came from https://www.sourdoughbreads.com/

Sandwich bread and muffins
1673982392695.jpeg

cast iron baked loaf (my favorite)
1673982552676.jpeg

Pizza
1673982468169.jpeg

Last edited:
I worked on Sourdough a bit in 2020, yet never achieved results that justified the time invested.

I had several fails but finally ended up having great results.
I make sourdough bread, waffles, pancakes, English muffins among other things. I prefer and use San Francisco starter which is unique to the Bay Area. I’ve used it for close to 30 years. I love the taste but it’s a bit different to work with.

When I make sour dread, I like to let it rise for 12 to 16 hours as that really brings out the sour taste. My starter came from https://www.sourdoughbreads.com/

Sandwich bread and muffins
View attachment 65262

cast iron baked loaf (my favorite)
View attachment 65264

Pizza
View attachment 65263
When I want to bring the tartness out, I ferment overnight in the fridge. Wife thinks it's too tart but it's just right for me. Much like the bread I grew up on in the city. Back in the mid to late 60s, we used to run by the Larraburu racks when they were wheeled out into the night air to cool on 3rd Ave. and snatch a couple of loaves. It doesn't get any fresher than that:)

Baked this rustic loaf yesterday evening:
View attachment 65252
Really simple recipe, not much active prep time and makes a nice loaf.

3 1/2 cups AP flour
1 TBSP Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups filtered water
2+ cups active starter (see note below)

In a medium mixer bowl, stir salt into flour, add starter and water. Mix on slowest setting with dough hook for 10 minutes. Dump onto floured counter, stretch and fold 10 or 12 times then gently shape into a ball. Coat a large bowl with olive oil, drop in dough ball, turning so it's completely covered in oil and cover with Saran wrap. Allow to rest until size increases by ~2/3. Remove Saran wrap and turn bowl over onto a sheet of parchment. Pre-heat oven to 450F and then preheat Dutch oven for 30 minutes. Remove bowl and using corners of the parchment, lift the dough and set into Dutch oven, cut a couple of 1/2" deep slits in top (I use scissors) cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid, bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes for desired crust color, turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool for several hours.

Note:
I store ~2 TBSP of my starter in a loosely covered12-ounce jar, in the fridge. It often sits, without feeding, for 4 to 6 weeks between uses. When ready to use, I sit it out on the counter in the morning, allow it to come to room temperature, stir in 1/4 cup AP flour and 2 TBSP filtered water, then let it work until the next morning. Next, it's mixed into 2 cups of AP flour and 1 cup filtered room temperature water and allowed to work until it's nearly doubled in size. I save and refrigerate ~ 2 TBSP and the remaining 2+ cups go into the dough.

After feeding weekly for several months, my starter hadn't developed a noticeable sourdough tang. I decided to abuse it by not feeding or using it nearly as often and, over a few more months, it developed nicely. I also think decreasing the hydration helped. If your starter is bland, I encourage you to try this approach with a bit of it.
That looks beautiful!!

Love me some sourdough. I haven't done any loaves in a few months, but I did dehydrate and stash some starter. This has inspired me to bust it out again. I am really craving some sourdough pizza. If I can master it in the WSM, that would be even better. Mmmm

My first go round with sourdough was not great. Then I found a guy who breaks down the science behind it all and even does experimenting to get the perfect loaf. He then shares it all with his viewers. I love me some science and breaking it all down like that really helps me understand and master things faster. Idk if we are allowed to share outside links but his name is Tom Cucuzza and it's called The Sourdough Journey on YouTube.

Back