Sourdough Pizza Dough

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I know that some of you dabble in the black arts of sourdough, so thought I'd share the SD dough formula I'm currently using for pizza. All credit due to Maurizio Leo who runs THE PERFECT LOAF website, and who just released a great sourdough cookbook of the same name.....

Sourdough Pizza Dough (adapted from Maurizio Leo, The Perfect Loaf)
320g 00 Flour (if cooking at oven temps 500-550°F, I'd sub half the 00 with AP)
215g Water
6g Salt (kosher preferred)
48g ACTIVE Sourdough starter/levain

Mix all ingredients thoroughly, then rest for 20 minutes
Perform 3 sets of "stretch & folds" to develop the dough at 20 minute intervals
Bulk fermentation/rise for a total of 2.5 hours from time of initial mix
Place dough in lightly oiled bowl in fridge, covered, overnight
Six hours before cooking pizza, divide dough into balls of equal weight (280g for me)
Place dough balls into individual containers (or a pizza dough box) and rest at RT until pizza time
Open dough balls, top as you desire, and cook pizza

I've had great success with this recipe over the last several months.....as always, you may need to tweak times/temps to achieve your desired result

1689209687095.png

Last edited:
@Rich G can you share some details on your sourdough starter? I'm curious if the type of flour matters, or in other words, AP unbleached for the starter, is that OK for high temp pizza cooks?

@Rich G can you share some details on your sourdough starter? I'm curious if the type of flour matters, or in other words, AP unbleached for the starter, is that OK for high temp pizza cooks?
Hey, Dan! My starter is fed 70% bread flour and 30% whole wheat flour at 100% hydration (meaning equal weights of water and flour.) If you are doing high temp cooks, and are using 00 flour for the main flour component of the dough, I don't think what you feed your starter will matter much. That would only be 24g of flour as compared to the 320g of flour (for two dough balls) in the main dough. Less than 10%, AND the flour in the starter will have been drastically altered with the yeast and bacteria consuming its starches for food so they can multiply and raise your dough.

A long way of saying, I don't think it matters what you feed your starter for this recipe. If you wanted to be a purist, you could, of course, feed your starter 00 flour.....I'm sure it would enjoy it, and if it's Caputo, might even learn some Italian! :)

Does that help?

R

Hey, Dan! My starter is fed 70% bread flour and 30% whole wheat flour at 100% hydration (meaning equal weights of water and flour.) If you are doing high temp cooks, and are using 00 flour for the main flour component of the dough, I don't think what you feed your starter will matter much. That would only be 24g of flour as compared to the 320g of flour (for two dough balls) in the main dough. Less than 10%, AND the flour in the starter will have been drastically altered with the yeast and bacteria consuming its starches for food so they can multiply and raise your dough.

A long way of saying, I don't think it matters what you feed your starter for this recipe. If you wanted to be a purist, you could, of course, feed your starter 00 flour.....I'm sure it would enjoy it, and if it's Caputo, might even learn some Italian! :)

Does that help?

R
Perfetto

Back