Source for wood chunks?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Where do most of you find your wood chunks for smoking? I am looking for a more common place to get them from instead of driving to a BBQ specialty place, which might be farther away. I can find mesquite and hickory at home depot, but have yet to find a good source for oak, cherry, and some of the others.

Dwayne

Hii Dwayne,

I have never found a local source for anything but hickory and mesquite in Ohio. Depneding on where you are at, you can check with any apple orchards in your area. I have also ordered from kingssmoke.com. They are quick and reliable.
hth.

Steve

As Steve said. Try orchards. I have more than a couple of apple trees and I cannot give the stuff away.

It only takes a single nice big branch to set up the average person for over a year.

((Usual post - if you live near mid Illinois and want apple wood give me a shout))

How much does kingsmoke charge for shipping? I'd figure I'd ask before I fill out the form just to see.

Dwayne-

Let us know where you are, and there's probably someone on the board near you who can give you a precise recommendation. I have had luck over the years with various hardware stores (call first, some only carry chips), and the big "box" home improvement centers.

Also, check with firewood companies in your area. Lastly, check the phonebook and see if there are any places near you that make/distribute charcoal. Lazzari's is pretty close to me, and in addition to lump charcoal, they also have various different kinds of firewood and smoke wood in chunks.

Good luck!

Rich G.

You can usually find only hickory and mesquite at HD, Lowe's and WalMart, and probably not this time of year at the last one. My local Ace stocks a full line of Weber-- including the WSM-- and sells apple, cherry, peach, oak, hickory, pecan, and maple in 1 and 2 pound bags for $2.50 and $4.50 respectively.

Doug D

I do not live far from New Orleans and travel there from time to time. Would you please furnish the phone # of the store.

Thanks, PRG

ACE HARDWARE-BASSIL'S (504) 888-8588
4419 TRANSCONTINENTAL DR
METAIRIE, LA 70006

Academy Sports & Outdoor here also sells hickory, pecan, and mesquite firewood in 40+ pound bags for around $10, if you don't mind cutting it up yourself. They're on West Esplanade in Kenner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>4419 TRANSCONTINENTAL DR
METAIRIE, LA 70006
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Holy Cow! I grew up just a few blocks from there! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

My brother still lives in the area and I have cousins in Kenner.

It's amazing how the WWW suddenly becomes that small. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have bought several loads of wood from the The outdoor cook. They stock ,oak ,apple ,peach pecan,hickory, mequite, sassafrass ,pear, maple ,cherry and grapevine. The prices are very reasonable and the service is fast. John the owner ( who I mest last year at the Michigan state championship) brought some pecan to me at the competition this past July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back