Soon to be WSM Owner

Dan J Larson

I scrapped the old gas grill and gave my electric smoker to my stepson. Bought a Weber Performer about 3 years ago and started looking for a decent charcoal smoker recently. I was pretty sure I wanted a vertical smoker with a side charcoal box without paying a lot of money. The two I was looking at had horrible reviews...cheap metal, leaking everywhere, needing several modifications just to get it to work ok. Then I found the WSM, again (I forgot that I was looking it before I bought the Performer). Amazon reviews for the 18.5": 392 5-star, 30 4-star, and 10 3-star or less. I'll definitely be buying it in the next couple of months and possibly a DigiQ BBQ Guru depending how I'm able to dial in the temp without it.

I've perused though this site for some great information and recipes so far and look forward to sharing with like-minded folks who enjoy a meal well-smoked and maybe the process to get there even more. :D

Welcome! You found the BBQ meca!
I have no issues with controling heat in my WSM. It seems to already know what to do, must be in the bloodlines.
I truly set it and forget it.
Good Luck ... get that order in now!

Welcome Dan you will love the WSM. I owned the Chargriller with side smoker box. Yep leaked, used a ton of fuel etc...don't know why I waited so long to purchase a Weber. Use the Amazon link at the top of page when you purchase items through Amazon.

Welcome aboard!

with the 14.5 18.5 and the 22.5 you have a lot of choices. Living in MN you should check out the wind/cold wraps people have created

I've pretty much settled on the 18.5. It's usually just my wife and I, so capacity should not be an issue. I also would prefer to conserve on charcoal. I will be checking out the cold wraps because we don't hibernate in the winter.

Welcome to the group. Hope you've been smoking on that Performer and not just grilling.
Yes to smoking on the Performer...Turkeys, ribs, beer can chickens, pulled pork. For pulled pork I've been chunking it up and smoking on weber for about an hour, then putting it in the dutch oven and cooking it low and slow. With the WSM I plan to skip the dutch oven step...though it turns out great that way.

You are going to love your WSM. I have a 22.5, but many times I am just cooking for two. I am debating on an 18.5 which I could use with my 22.5 if I were doing a big party cook; or just go with the 14.5. I do not have a guru, and have had no problems holding whatever temperate I want. You will be able to also, once you have a few cooks under your belt. The only times I wish I had a guru is when doing briskets. It would be nice to just "set and forget".

Welcome to the forum, you have a great resource in here. You will soon be the best in your neighborhood.

Back