son's 1st grill-out

doug gillis

TVWBB Fan
After many yrs of my son seeing me grill/smoke, He decided that he wanted to have a hand in it-14 yrs old here. I made it easy as possible- thought country-style ribs would be the fastest but not too fast and produce good results. I sat the ribs out as well as a few things like rub and yellow mustard, squirt bottle of apple juice, and let him cook on a small propane "blue rhino" gas grill. His Q came out very well- was excellent. I will soon have to move him up into using charcoal/tending the fire and the art of smoking! I told him that using a grill/smoker etc will come in handy when a little older for colledge yrs as well as tail-gates! GO GA. BULLDAWGS! ranked # 1!

You can never get them started to young. I supervised my 10 year old son's first rib smoke a month or so ago and had lots of fun with it.
Some good ribs too.

This is how I started out... helping out Dad at the grill. I have not clue how old I was, but first he'd just let me take the tongs and flip the meat when it was time. Later on I got to help put on seasonings, he taught me how to light the grill, etc. I have great memories of hanging out with my dad on the patio as a kid, and I think it's a great way to connect. I'm far from an expert, but I had a lot of fun with my dad and he taught me a lot. Glad you guys are doing the same with your boys!

One of the things I look forward to when the wife and I have kids is teaching them how to grill, bbq, & smoke. It's actually the reason I keep the Smokey Joe!

I took my 5 month old on the deck with me for a couple of minutes a few weeks ago while I was smoking some ribs. I had him on one side and tongs on the other.

Boy was the wife pissed when she smelled him and realized what I'd done. LMAO!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

This last Christmas, my son came home from college and he and 2 of his buddies ate an entire flat in one sitting…..This Spring, for my son’s 21st, I sent him a WSM, wood, digital and analog thermometers and a Weber chimney…..he can make his own now! He has become the favorite roommate.

Back