Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands . . .

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
and say "Dang."

I've got a candy thermometer sticking into the top vent. The probe reaches down about 3 inches. It reads 300*. I've got my ET-73 smoker probe on the bottom grate, just above the water bath, next to the rolled ribs. It reads 210*. Is a 90* swing possible?

And, of course, my nicely rolled ribs warmed up in the smoker, sloughed over and are all over each other and resting on the blackened sides of the WSM.

Jesus H. on a popsicle stick. I'm sticking to butts from now on.

And, yes, I'm still upset about the Jets.

Check both probes for accuracy. Clean them; any gunk can effect readings. Move the 73 to the top grate so it is not near the water.

Stone,
First of all calibrate your therms. The just use one thermometer in the dome. You are making the cook more difficult than it needs to be. As long as your dome temp is around 250* (+/- 10 degrees) you are fine.

Yes that swing is possible. Just above the water bath is boiling water! Up on the roof is different. I measure temps on the top grate and go by that. Check in boiling water. Temps will vary by placement-even on the same shelf.
As for the ribs , I have too much to learn myself. Temps are not sooo critical.

I, too, decided long ago that I'd rather not have to guess so much about cooker temps, and opted to go with a 6"-stemmed thermometer inserted thru one of the upper bolt holes. Its tip is sufficiently away from the rising heat surrounding the water pan, and, being a fraction of an inch below the top grate, is never in danger of touching meat nor metal. The BBQ Guru people make eyelets for this and similar purposes-- I just fabricated something myself from the hardware store.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
I, too, decided long ago that I'd rather not have to guess so much about cooker temps, and opted to go with a 6"-stemmed thermometer inserted thru one of the upper bolt holes. Its tip is sufficiently away from the rising heat surrounding the water pan, and, being a fraction of an inch below the top grate, is never in danger of touching meat nor metal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought about using this location as well but was concerned that drippings from the meat would get on the probe and cause fluctuations in my temperature readings. Have you seen this? Also, are the dripppings (if any) hard to clean off of the probe?

It doesn't seem to be cause for concern. I see rock-solid readings without any hint of fluctuations. Clean-up is a simple matter of just wrapping a piece of steelwool or Brillo pad around the stem and removing the discoloration-- it's usually more smoke than grease.

That's fine 300f at the top is great. This whole exact number for low and slow in my opinion been blown out of all proportion by digital thermometers and the internet. Lots of winning Q and world famous classic Q is cooked a whole lot hotter. For a good read try "Legends of Texas BBQ" it is full of gold nuggets of info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
It doesn't seem to be cause for concern. I see rock-solid readings without any hint of fluctuations. Clean-up is a simple matter of just wrapping a piece of steelwool or Brillo pad around the stem and removing the discoloration-- it's usually more smoke than grease. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Doug...I'm going to give that a try.

i tried sticking the et-73 smoker probe through the eyelet, poking out into the chamber. But it seemed to close to the side -- it registered too hot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
Lots of winning Q and world famous classic Q is cooked a whole lot hotter. For a good read try "Legends of Texas BBQ" it is full of gold nuggets of info. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got that book for christmas, Konrad and I'm on my second time through. Great book!

Sorry for the thread-jacking..

~Dave

Back