Some ideas don't work

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
I was given a drumstick roasting stand for Christmas and the first time I used it I put some Yukon gold potatoes underneath.

Last night I used it again but this time instead of potatoes I laid down a bed of thickly sliced parmesan-rosemary bread from the grocery store bakery. I brushed each side with oil and topped 1 side with garlic slices and fine sea salt.

The drumsticks had been marinating in Italian dressing (made from a dry mix) for a couple of days so I was hoping that I'd get some good flavor into the bread, but after cooking for about an hour at 350 indirect what I got was bread that was saturated with oil, dressing, and chicken fat in the center of the drip pan, although the end pieces were out of the range of the chicken so they were much less saturated and actually pretty good.

If I try the 'bread bed' again I think I'll lightly oil only the side that faces down so that whatever drips off of the chicken hopefully won't make the top side too sodden.

But at least the chicken turned out pretty good. I might never put drumsticks directly on the grate again!

Brad

Brad, I've seen that rack sold at Menard's.
I have a heavy wire rack that holds 12 sticks and it works great.
DSCN1039.JPG

I put a small foil pan on one side of the charcoal grate to catch the drippin's...
Like you said, may never put the sticks directly on the grate ever again.

Jim - where did you get your leg rack? I am interested in getting one someday, as I'm sure as soon as my boys hit the growth spurts I'm gonna be making a lot more food on the grill!

Barret

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Brad, I've seen that rack sold at Menard's.
I have a heavy wire rack that holds 12 sticks and it works great.
DSCN1039.JPG

I put a small foil pan on one side of the charcoal grate to catch the drippin's...
Like you said, may never put the sticks directly on the grate ever again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got one like Jim's has at Amazon and before hanging the chicken legs I foil the bottom of the rack and fold it up to make an aluminum pan to contain the dripping, also I spray the rack to make it easy to remove the legs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jim - where did you get your leg rack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Home Depot or Lowe's... don't remember, butt it was one of those two.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I foil the bottom of the rack and fold it up to make an aluminum pan to contain the dripping, also I spray the rack to make it easy to remove the legs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Al, GREAT idea!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Brad, I've seen that rack sold at Menard's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would make sense...it was a gift from my parents and there's a Menards about 5 minutes from their house (and since my dad's retired I think he's probably on a first-name basis with a lot of the people there).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a heavy wire rack that holds 12 sticks and it works great.
Like you said, may never put the sticks directly on the grate ever again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one thing I don't like about it is the size of the pan - it's too small IMO. When I used it the first time I used a foil pan instead because it gave more surface area under the chicken, so what I'd like to find is a cast iron or uncoated steel pan as a more permanent option.

Might try leg quarters on it, too, but I think then I'd have to stagger them in order to get them to fit.

Brad

Brad.
Roasted taters with some chicken drippings is the shnitz IMO, way for flavor than just using EVO and or butter.
icon_smile.gif

Anyhow..
Your bread idea would probably work well as a base for a skillet or pan dressing done on the kettle or WSM.
I'm likin that. Kinda sorta like a inside out bread stuffing.
Thanks for the nudge, cause I'm gonna try that.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I've been considering this style rack. Kind of liked the tray on the bottom and that it's made from stainless steel:

Grill Pro Rack

Anyone out there try one? I think the try would be nice to catch the fat, etc too.

These racks must be getting pretty popular cause the price has gone up.
I have several of the Bayou Classic which I purchased from Ace about 5 yrs ago for $8.00 a pc.
The only difference from that link is mine has folding legs.

Tim

I have the Bayou Classic SS also. Got it at Ace for about $7.00 last year. I have noticed there also some that are nickel plated steel.

Back