Some choices for a Butt Rub?

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys,
i drove 56 miles round trip to get a candy
therm. the supermarkets around here just had the glass cheapos. I'm set with the Pyrex Candy and Deep Fryer therm. Has a clip as shown on the mod section. Got it at Kohls.
Would someone give me a hint as a "good" rub and marinating time? I'm not sure about the Brown guys pepper content?
I'm new and really think this forum is a great
"society"
Thanks Jerry Pollard

Bill
I purchased a whole butt, untrimmed on one side
i cut about a pound and half from a 11 pound
whole butt.
this is my first try with the WSM. this is all i plan to cook on first try.

On the Cooking Topics page, you will find a recipe for mustard slathered butts which also has a pretty good rub recipe in there.

We use that one all the time with some slight modifications. In fact, have a couple of butts resting right now made that way
icon_smile.gif

I can't speak highly enough of the Mr. Brown rub. I have two butts on the smoker right now done Mr. Brown style. They're at 160 after 8 hours, and I just stole a little bite as I mopped. Awesome. If you don't like pepper, it's not for you, but I personally love it.

google southern succor rub. Best I have used.

Actually here it is:
itle: SOUTHERN SUCCOR RUB
Yield: 2 Cups

1/2 c Ground black pepper
1/2 c Paprika
1/2 c Turbinado sugar
1/4 c Salt
4 t Dry mustard
2 t Cayenne

Thanks guys for the "rub" suggestions.
I love pepper, but my wife can't tolerate too much of it.
i'm trying to impress her with my new WSM,
ordered it real early one am.

How bout the succor "sop" for basting? should i consider the basting? Does basting add a whole lot to the end result?
thanks again
Jerry

I'm not sure what it adds, but I always baste with the succor sop. I baste at the 8 hour mark when I do the first flip of the meat, and again around 10 hours or so. Maybe a third time if I have some left over.

I've always had good luck basting butts with a mixture of 2 parts apple juice, 1 part maple syrup and 1 part bourbon. Mix it up in a spritz bottle and spray liberally twice, once after about 8 hours and once about 1 hour before it should be done.

Just be sure to wait at least 6-8 hours before you 1st baste otherwise you'll wash off all your rub.

-Dave

Back