Solutions to fix very small hole in burner box?

MatthewS

TVWBB Member
I have an older Genesis that is in great condition with the exception of a small hole in the burner box. It doesn't look like any other parts of the burner box will give out. It's a little smaller than an eraser head. Is there anything I could "fill" it with that would be non-toxic to food?

Hi Matthew, There is JB Weld for high heat at the auto parts store that can fill a hole. You could drill it out to the smallest round diameter and fill the hole with a nut and bolt. Put a stainless patch over the hole. Or a combination of the 3.

Whatever you do consider painting the exterior of the firebox to seal up any bare aluminum to prevent further oxidation.

Smaller than an eraser head?? I might drill that out, tap it, and run a machine screw into it. I'd imagine like maybe #10-32 is the size we're talking about. You could then grind flush the excess off of the outside of the firebox, and even hit it with a spritz of hi-temp spray paint if you'd like.

I have an older Genesis that is in great condition with the exception of a small hole in the burner box. It doesn't look like any other parts of the burner box will give out. It's a little smaller than an eraser head. Is there anything I could "fill" it with that would be non-toxic to food?

Matthew, can you post a picture of the hole please, that would help. I repaired a hole in a Weber kettle grill with a stainless fender washer on each side with a SS bolt through them. No pretty but functional. You might not have room for that depending on where the hole is.

I have repaired two cook boxes with the Hi Temp JB Weld. One is my personal grill. A genesis 1000 with two small holes. One hole was about the size of a Pea. 4 years later, it is still good and you really can't even tell it was fixed.

I have repaired two cook boxes with the Hi Temp JB Weld. One is my personal grill. A genesis 1000 with two small holes. One hole was about the size of a Pea. 4 years later, it is still good and you really can't even tell it was fixed.

How do you feel about the JB Weld being in the burner box? That would be my preferred solution but I worry about off-gassing, especially at high temps.

I don't know if there are any issues with that, but the small amount you would use would be negligible IMO.

Back