So Is This Color Called Chocolate?

Ed P

TVWBB Platinum Member
Picked up another grill today, a brown Genesis 3. It's old...the serial number is on the tank support, probably from the first year or two of production. The lid looks real nice under the dirt, but the frame was mostly crumbs.

Attachments

• 36d22ee86bbe400baa2c152c3651c86c (1).jpg
    36d22ee86bbe400baa2c152c3651c86c (1).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Tank Support.png
    Tank Support.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That might be a Genesis 2. I think the L stands for LP gas, but not sure what the "7" signifies.

Yep. a lot of people call the brown lids "chocolate".

That might be a Genesis 2. I think the L stands for LP gas, but not sure what the "7" signifies.

Yep. a lot of people call the brown lids "chocolate".
I looked up the s/n on Chris' page...have to drill down a bit to get to it, but L7 is a Gen3

Yah, I didn't find it on that web page after a quick look either.

But isn't a Genesis 3 suppose to have the side burner?

It might have had one at one time...I'm more of a table guy, anyway.

EDIT: Closer inspection shows that it did have a 9850 side burner when new (see the ID tag pic at the top of this thread)

Last edited:
Welcome to the Brown Club!

Jeff

Ed,
That's a nice score! I like the brown hood especially. Brown is so 1980's and fits perfectly with the Genesis launch. I think that side table is a later addition since it has the narrow slats. Maybe it replaced a non-functioning side burner. That Genesis definitely is an early issue. I would like to see your control panel in comparison to the one on Rich's. His is different from any early Genesis I have seen so far which leads me to believe he has a very first run maybe using up prototype parts.

Here's mine and Rich's. Mine is on the left. I would say his is earlier and more unique!

EDIT: Here's another early panel with the Weber fade (on the far right)

Attachments

• 20201011_180721.jpg
    20201011_180721.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Rich_Dahl_100_4503.JPG
    Rich_Dahl_100_4503.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201011_181522.jpg
    20201011_181522.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That's an interesting post. I don't know exactly what to think, but I have seen other control panels like yours where there is no line around the igniter switch but a line connecting it to the front burner. Seems like that would be a follow up innovation compared to Rich's which gives no indication how to light. But, really I don't know and I wonder who does? Maybe we can reach out to Weber to find a way to contact one of those guys that designed the original Genesis. That was a great article:

Back