So I'm doing two pork butts about 9lbs each....

Paul Kerns

I want them done at about 4:30 pm tomorrow when I have people over. What time do you think I should start? I'm thinking midnight or so.

Depends on the temps you're looking to run but I'd put them on closer to 10:00 p.m., if they finish early they'll hold great in a cooler.

You think that early, huh? I'm thinking 250 degrees lid temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Depends on the temps you're looking to run but I'd put them on closer to 10:00 p.m., if they finish early they'll hold great in a cooler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

9lbs. at 250 grate temp your looking at about a 16-18 hr cook. You'll want to factor in some rest time, and some sh!t happens time.
icon_wink.gif
I'm with Larry on the 10PM start time.

That makes sense. You find that it's closer to 2 hours per pound versus one and a half then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
9lbs. at 250 grate temp your looking at about a 16-18 hr cook. You'll want to factor in some rest time, and some sh!t happens time.
icon_wink.gif
I'm with Larry on the 10PM start time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That makes sense. You find that it's closer to 2 hours per pound versus one and a half then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All depends on the butt. I've had 9 lb butts go 20 hours before and some finish in 14. It's done when she's done.

Oh and Bryan, schmidt always happens out here
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Kerns:
That makes sense. You find that it's closer to 2 hours per pound versus one and a half then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif
I'm with Larry on the 10PM start time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Everbody has their methods and ways of cooking. Over the years of cooking on the WSM I have found that 8-9 lb butts take me 15-16 hrs to cook. I can figure that time everytime, but that's not saying your butts will cook like my butts do. That's why it's better to factor in a little cushion till you can count on your butts taking X amount of time to cook. Hope this makes sense. What works for me and my WSM might not work exactly that way for you and your WSM.
icon_wink.gif

I'll bet you're in a full scramble trying to get them butts on about now. LOL!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck to you. A lot will depend on how well you control your temps. I found at the second time that I did butts that not only was my therm off by 30 degrees at 212, but that it was not linear and was off by much more at higher temps. I was cooking butts at 300 and didn't even know it.

I'm with you though, I'm getting ready to put on 39 lbs. (untrimmed) pork shoulder in about 1 hour. Judging by the pile of trimmings that I had, I'm thinking it will be about 33-35 lbs. I'll drink one while I'm thinking about your smoke.

Good luck.

I agree with everyone else saying earlier. To me there is nothing worse than it not being ready on time. If its ready early, so be it - it sits nicely in the cooler.

And Bryan I know what you mean, butts have been taking 16 hours for me. Of course earlier in the month with 20 people coming over for lunch I wake up at 7AM and they were sitting at 165. I had started them at 5PM the previous evening so I was thinking they would be close to done. I ended up having to foil and all was well.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I did run out and put the butts on right away. Now at 7am and they did great overnight. I think you all were right on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian B.:
Paul, if you want some comedy and a list of things not to do, read this series of posts when I tried to do a smoke last year that was a little bit complicated.

It should give you something to laugh about while you're getting everything right.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...120049755#1120049755 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on the meat. I did 3 different double butt cooks last weekend. All done at the same temp thanks to my DigiQ II. Was cooking good size butts- 8.5 to 9.5 pounds.

The first and third cooks went as expected and took almost 2 hours per pound. The middle cook was done in a shade under 1.5 hours per pound. Was shooting for about a 10 a.m. finish that cook. Got up about 5:30 to check and both butts were about 192-202 with multiple Thermapen temp checks. Pulled them off and did the foil, towels, cooler storage thing. Were still in the 160's at 11:30 lunch time.

Have no good explanation why that cook took 5 hours less than expected.

Good luck!

Back