So I made a dip

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Gold Member
Solid appetizer for the 4th. This is a half-batch, based largely on an Ina Garten recipe. Really good stuff. Make it about 4x/year.

Caramelized some onions on the side-burner.
20240704_140404.jpg

Fifteen minutes later, added some garlic. Let it roll for about 3 more minutes before resting.
20240704_140819.jpg

Added to a bunch of good stuff. Mixed, added to casserole.
20240704_144442.jpg

Cooked at 400° for about 25 minutes. Rested.
20240704_152254.jpg

I broiled this for a few minutes but no shots. Served with a baguette, some good crackers, and fresh veg. Really tasty, inelegant stuff. It disappears quickly.

Hope you all had a great Fourth!

Details, ingredients?
Basically a classic spinach/Artichoke dip. This serves a lot of people as a full batch. Original recipe is from Ina Garten; I modify it only slightly.

Although it's a half batch, I use the full batch quantity of spinach, choke, and garlic. I also bump-up the cayenne for a bit more heat. I halve the wet ingredients and the onion.

I also use an even blend of crema and sour cream instead of just sour cream.

Lastly, I add some gruyere in addition to the parmesan for both the dip and the topping.

Good stuff!

20240706_103731.jpg

I'm think another way to prepare it would be to use a cast iron skillet in the kettle.
Right on.

I had just finished smoking a brisket before making the dip. So I put it on the wsm, partly covered, for about 15 minutes before baking. Gave it a little smoke flavor.

Back