So I decided to build this!

Good Morning RCBaughn,

Thank you very much.

Regarding Shallow notches - indeed I thought about it. It sits pretty snug & tight right now without the Cray Cort Cast Iron Grate that I am planning to use in it. I may do the notches are part of the final touches.

As far as wood getting hot. There is about 3/4 - 1 inch gap all the way around, so I believe we are good to go. I really like the remedy / suggestion that you have.

Ali, I think RC does bring up a good point regarding clearance. I would watch it close if you tend to bank coals when cooking or going for high temps. 3/4-1inch is not a lot of clearance. I know you can't do 2 inches but the heat will certainly dry the wood out and possibly char it.

Chris - would you consider selling and shipping it to San Diego area? Thanks.
Sorry, I'm a little late to the party here, as usual.

That's a beautiful setup you've got going there, Ali. Very impressed!

I've still got the brown grill, and I would be willing to ship it to you, if interested. Click my name, then "Private Message" so we can discuss.

And finally (almost) the finished project. I say almost because I am waiting for Brian O'Neal's wooden handles to arrive, and am 50/50 on adding black granite to the side tables. Let me know what you think.

DAF38B40-BAD4-4500-84CB-0A9E69CA12B0-780-00000053645904DF_zps58f354e7.jpg

Ali, I think you have created something very unique. It is absolutely gorgeous. The tables look great but Black Granite OMG, that would be outstanding!

To avoid potential scorching of the barrel when banking coals you can try inserting a layer of ceramic blanket, line the barrel with a thin heat barrier, or use a coal basket.

P1050827.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great looking kettle stand. The blue kettle and the wood color look good together.
It looks much nicer than a lot of the tables that I have seen. Idea well done!

Back