So Bad Weather In my Region

Yeah, we still have large sections of the area with no power since Monday evening. Daughter is one of them. They're running my generator pretty much non stop. Funny after owning it over 4 years it's the first time it's actually being "run".
She said power is not predicted to come back until Friday!

SIL is over by Lake Carrol ( Lanark ). Power is also out till Friday. She's been there for over 28 yrs and it's a given any time they have bad storms.
Funny thing is when they bought the house the previous owner just installed a whole house generator and he wanted an extra 5 grand or so.
Her late husband said no way and the guy took it.

My oldest and SIL have a very large whole house backup system. Because without power no water, no flushing "stinkies" away, and IIRC they even have a power septic system. So no power for them would be much worse than getting warm food. So they have a full house unit that is piped to their NG line even including a large 1" supply line dedicated to it

Yea people that don't have gravity drains but ejector pits need to have power or stuff backs up.
She's also on well and septic. SMH when this happens to her.

Last edited:
IMO Standby generators are a luxury when you are younger and fit and able to start a manual one and have fuel on hand etc.

They evolve from a luxury to a necessity when you get older and running a manual generator becomes more laborious.

Back