Snowy Ribs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alexander:
Chris, They look awesome. You had them in there 7 hrs?? What temp? when did you cover them with foil?
My family loves ribs and I am going to dare to make them in the new WSM 18 that I got a week ago. I am a newbie and need some guidance! Also what thermometer are you using? I only rely on the stock lid.
Great site! I will learn much from you all. THanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably about 7 1/2 total, put them on about 10:30 and took them off at 6. Temps stayed between 230-245 most of the time. Had a couple of spikes due to wind but I was able to calm that down pretty well. I very rarely foil my ribs and I didn't foil these. I also use an empty/foiled water pan. My WSM is a few years old so no lid thermometer but the one in the picture is your standard Maverick ET-73.

Great looking cook Chris, I love Q'ing in the snow, and when its cold, keeping those low temps is a breeze. I made up a batch of gyro meat last night, to be cooked today, but we are having sustained winds in the 30's with gusts to 55, so I'll have to build a bunker to get it cooked, but I'll find a way! I 2nd the bean recipe inquiry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alexander:
Chris, They look awesome. You had them in there 7 hrs?? What temp? when did you cover them with foil?
My family loves ribs and I am going to dare to make them in the new WSM 18 that I got a week ago. I am a newbie and need some guidance! Also what thermometer are you using? I only rely on the stock lid.

Probably about 7 1/2 total, put them on about 10:30 and took them off at 6. Temps stayed between 230-245 most of the time. Had a couple of spikes due to wind but I was able to calm that down pretty well. I very rarely foil my ribs and I didn't foil these. I also use an empty/foiled water pan. My WSM is a few years old so no lid thermometer but the one in the picture is your standard Maverick ET-73. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No water in the pan? how do you keep em from drying? Do they come out with good bark?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
Great looking cook Chris, I love Q'ing in the snow, and when its cold, keeping those low temps is a breeze. I made up a batch of gyro meat last night, to be cooked today, but we are having sustained winds in the 30's with gusts to 55, so I'll have to build a bunker to get it cooked, but I'll find a way! I 2nd the bean recipe inquiry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, there is nothing quite like Q'ing in the cold. I love sitting in a chair on my deck that's covered with snow. I'll often have a fire in the fire pit and have some ice cold adult beverages and enjoy the cold weather while the smoker is chugging along. It's during those moments that my wife knows I'm truly insane.
icon_wink.gif

I'll also try and get the beans recipe up tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:

Probably about 7 1/2 total, put them on about 10:30 and took them off at 6. Temps stayed between 230-245 most of the time. Had a couple of spikes due to wind but I was able to calm that down pretty well. I very rarely foil my ribs and I didn't foil these. I also use an empty/foiled water pan. My WSM is a few years old so no lid thermometer but the one in the picture is your standard Maverick ET-73. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No water in the pan? how do you keep em from drying? Do they come out with good bark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just keep an eye on them and I've never had a problem. I also use a spray bottle to give them an occasional "spritz" after the 4 hour mark or so to help keep some moisture on there. I usually use plain apple juice but at this time of the year I prefer to use fresh cider. The bark is usually great and was this time as well.

I know I'm not the only one around here who uses an empty pan (although we are in the minority) and very rarely have any issues. Besides, do those ribs look dry to you?
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Sleyster:
I'm trying to figure out how you fit 4 untrimmed spares and a pot of beans in your smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beans I actually smoked on the kettle. Really small fire and a couple of nice chunks of smoke wood. The ribs I had 2 to a rack, 1 rack / grate. If I was only doing 2 racks of ribs I would have put the beans on top.

Any problems putting the smoker on your porch? I usually try to keep it on my driveway for fear of burning/damaging the porch. Is your porch made of wood or composite? I assume you've never had a problem with it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Sleyster:
I'm trying to figure out how you fit 4 untrimmed spares and a pot of beans in your smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beans I actually smoked on the kettle. Really small fire and a couple of nice chunks of smoke wood. The ribs I had 2 to a rack, 1 rack / grate. If I was only doing 2 racks of ribs I would have put the beans on top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never had any problems and I've always had wood decks. I have those little concrete mats underneath the smokers and kettle just in case though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Really need to build some sort of small windscreen although I saw someone on these boards using a welding blanket which would really fit the bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been thinking about this as well, and I think that winter may end up being the time when I get some of my best results. I am thinking of building a wind screen with snow most of the way around the WSM. It might take a whole lot of snow, but the melting and freezing should make it really durable over time.

Anyone tried this?

Back