Snow blower recommendation's.

A couple years ago I got tired of having to take apart my mower and clean the carb because gas went bad. And having to find a way to dispose of gas in the can I forgot to put fuel stabilizer in. I did a bunch of research and decided to make the jump to battery powered. There are a lot of options out there but the EGO line constantly ranked high so I made the plunge. First the mower, then weed eater. They both perform as well or better than their gas counterparts. I can say I don't miss gas cans and engine maintenance.

I have a little Honda HS621 and that thing has some power and throws snow all the way across the street

When you said Honda, I thought you were talking about a HSS724AT . They look pretty neat and can throw the snow pretty far. I think they are overpriced. I've sworn off Honda lawn equipment (except for the push lawnmowers) because I had a bad experience with the Honda riding mower I bought in the late 90s. The starter motor crapped out after 3 years and was $300 for the parts alone. Honda stopped making riding mowers in the early 2000s I think.

Hands Down: ARIENS.
Absolutely no doubt about it.

I agree. I was considering a Honda but bought the Ariens 8HP in 2003 for around $1200. Back then, the Honda was like $1900. I'm still using the Ariens today, 16 years later. Runs great, throws the snow far (about 40-50 ft). Starts with 1-2 pulls almost every time. Had it tuned up for the first time around 4 years ago.

I also recommend getting a snow cab to protect yourself from getting snow blown back.

I would not recommend the Toro. It's possible that they're better now but in my experience, they don't throw the snow very far. It's cool seeing my neighbors with their wimpy Toros and then me with my Ariens throwing snow into their yard. Very satisfying.

It does have a Tecumseh engine but I have not had any issues with it. I use fuel stabilizer and drain the tank in the spring.

When you said Honda, I thought you were talking about a HSS724AT . They look pretty neat and can throw the snow pretty far. I think they are overpriced. I've sworn off Honda lawn equipment (except for the push lawnmowers) because I had a bad experience with the Honda riding mower I bought in the late 90s. The starter motor crapped out after 3 years and was $300 for the parts alone. Honda stopped making riding mowers in the early 2000s I think.
I agree. I was considering a Honda but bought the Ariens 8HP in 2003 for around $1200. Back then, the Honda was like $1900. I'm still using the Ariens today, 16 years later. Runs great, throws the snow far (about 40-50 ft). Starts with 1-2 pulls almost every time. Had it tuned up for the first time around 4 years ago.

Some photos of one of my "fleet" I have this tractor. As you can see it has a liquid cooled inline twin with overhead cam. Really nice little machine. Built like a little tank. Very much like a Kubota except not a diesel engine. Shaft driven, only belt is for the mower.

aNhUqrE.jpg

MUd7eWz.jpg

pJaKRMj.jpg

LLnSGkr.jpg

And I have this. It's a tank. Big Vtwin kinda sounds like a Harley. Smooth riding and can nearly climb walls but it's BIG.

bWqY2iY.jpg

kEXW7Rz.jpg

My space and such tells me I really should sell one of these. But I cannot figure which one. Both do what they do excellently and excel at various stages of the job of yard work. The Honda is a little smaller, a little lighter, maneuvers a little more easily and into tighter spaces. While the Simplicity rides like a Lincoln Town Car, has brute strength, leaves those beautiful mowing lines you see on a ball park and also really does mow a little better. Oddly because it has such a big strong engine it is a little more quiet because the engine does not need to turn as fast. Can run along just fine with engine at say 2000 RPM while the Honda needs about 2800 to 3000.
Very fond of both

I'm in the market for a new one. I like the newer joystick control compared to my old crank, and adjust the height of the throw by hand.
Power steering and heated pegs are all new to me and something I'm not really interested in.
I went online and read a ton of reviews, but what I really want to know is what you folks like or dislike cause I feel I can trust you more than what I see on the web.:)

Tim

I'm late to the party but there is a snowblower forum out there (did someone post this already??)
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-reviews/

And a relevant page (for me anyways)
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/for...aine-need-advice-new-snowblower-purchase.html

and here https://movingsnow.com

Last edited:
@LMichaels, those are nice mowers you have.

The one I had was the 1011 Hydrostatic like this one:

4273913_01_honda_hydrostatic_riding_mower_640.jpg

Came with the dual bagger and mulching kit. Spent about $2500 on it.

Was that also a water cooled engine? One thing I have to note is how "over built" that little Honda I have is. It's got a heavy channel steel frame (much like a car) it has little rubber engine mounts as well. It's just such a precision made little machine. I know it's going to need a starter solenoid and you have to pull the engine for that. So I am going to do timing belt and water pump at the same time. Also going to replace the oil pump gear as from what I have read this is the only weak spot on that engine. Apparently if the radiator shield clogs up with grass and engine runs a little hotter using regular engine oil (instead of a high quality synthetic i.e. Shell Rotella T6) the gear can crack and shed a tooth stopping the oil pump. Oddly Honda did not include an oil pressure warning or shutoff so the motor will stay running with no pressure and throw a rod. They even put the same engine into a small car in Japan LOL.

Nope, it was air cooled. I just remember another problem I had with the mower. The tires were always flat. The shop I got it from solved it by putting tubes in the tires.

I thought the mower was overpriced for the amount of cutting area. If I had to do it again, I would get a commercial walk behind mower.

Yeah tubes would solve the issue but you could have also filled them with "Slime" (it's a real product LOL). Yes Honda stuff is expensive. For the most part with very good reason. When I look at how beautifully the little Honda machine I have is put together and designed it's like a little swiss watch. As compared to the it's big brother Simplicity. The Simplicity is having the flat issue on a couple tires so they'll maybe be coming off for new ones (they're hard and dry rotting) or perhaps I will Slime them and do liquid fill for weight. (fill the tires with anti freeze adds weight and seals them). I have too much yard for dealing with a walk behind. I don't want to spend that much time on it.

Back