Snapshot Changelog

Well there is the "Latest Software/Firmware" sticky for the release and there may be some mention of snapshot items there, and Bryan has started a few threads recently about "A snapshot near you" where he has spelled out some detail... I don't know if there is a more complete snapshot history log anywhere or not?

Speaking of snapshot releases...

I've been testing the new features a bit today, using the "an above" and "ramp and hold" features for a long low and slow, a small piece of pork shoulder.

The "on above" feature seemed to be helpful. I had the blower set for Min=0 Max=10% Startup Max=100% and "ON Above" 50%

The pit stoked fast (blower at 100%), small overshoot and settled right it. I purposefully set the top damper a little tight to see how the HM behaved when it crossed the 50% threshold and started ramping up the fan (generally I will open the top vent until the HM runs at about 30-35%). The "On Above" did a better job than "Max Only" in that there was no dip in temp when the blower ramped up, there was only a small bump of overshoot less than 5 degrees for about 2-3 minutes each time the blower kicked in. The fire was stoked up by the blower and the HM went back below 50% and ran on the damper alone for quite some time until the fan had to boost it up again. I call this improvement, no more temperature dip and bump into overshoot for 15+ minutes like before.

I also set the "Ramp and Hold" feature to trigger when the pork shoulder is at 175F and ramp the pit down to 200F as a done/holding temperature. I ran the cook at 250F, so for every degree the meat goes up (above 175F) the pit will drop 2F. The ramp/hold function triggered properly and started ramping down the setpoint properly as well. However, I wasn't present watching it (kinda the whole point of the ramp/hold function) and when I got a look I saw the pit temp hadn't dropped. The meat temp keeps rising and the setpoint is ramping down, but the pit temp isn't lowering...

When I got a look at it the damper had not closed, it was sitting there about 40% open doing nothing, not powered. The HM said the blower/servo is at 0%. I turned the servo by hand to a bit past 0% (so I could tell if the HM ever decides to move the damper to 0) and the HM hasn't attempted to close the damper at all. This is a problem, a BUG, something is going haywire and not closing the damper. What's worse, once the HM THINKS it's closed the pit temp keeps rising so the HM wont try to close it again. Basically dead in the water and the pit will do whatever is dictated by where ever it abandoned the damper.

So this has to do with the new servo movement, the move and power down feature. I like the way it works, but for whatever reason sometimes it fails to move the servo where it needs to be before it powers down, leaving the servo sitting somewhere it shouldnt be. When it is the 0% position it is not moving to that is a real problem.

IDK if there is something you can "FIX" to cure this, or if you can make the servo energize and move into position every so often (particularly at 0%) or leave it energized longer after each movement??? Something has to be done to fix this, 'cause its a fail.... I would prefer to go back to the old always energized servo operation if this can't be fixed otherwise, I'd rather hear a little chatter and know the servo is where it should be than have it be silent and not doing what it is supposed to...

Last edited:

Back