SMTP SMS Issue

Chris Kemp

Has anyone gotten the SMS alerts to work for them? I have Verizon as cell phone provider and I cannot get the SMS to work. I set the smtp settings and I checked that they are working by having the HM send an email and that went through. However the SMS will not go through. Also why is it that once the alarm goes off it disables itself in the settings page? Any suggestions?

SMS works for me through my tracfone using AT&T as the provider. I don't have experience with verizon though. I would think it should work if you select verizon as the provider though. I use my area code and phone number, but NOT the 1 in front of it. You should also try sending a text message to your phone as an email from your regular email client to make sure that's working....

I use Verizon Wireless and it works just fine for me. I just tested it and it showed up om my phone in about 30 seconds. You might want to check the System Log for more information. Mine says:
Jun 11 19:40:07 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to 8135551212@vtext.com
Jun 11 19:40:08 OpenWrt mail.info msmtp: host=mail.ln9.net tls=on auth=on user=bmayland from=bmayland@capnbry.net recipients=8135551212@vtext.com mailsize=32 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 362F460061E' exitcode=EX_OK

As far as the alarm disabling itself, make sure you have the "Action" set to "Ring" and you don't have any custom script that's disabling it.

SMS works for me through my tracfone using AT&T as the provider. I don't have experience with verizon though. I would think it should work if you select verizon as the provider though. I use my area code and phone number, but NOT the 1 in front of it. You should also try sending a text message to your phone as an email from your regular email client to make sure that's working....

I did send a sms message to my phone from my email and it worked fine message came through quickly.

I use Verizon Wireless and it works just fine for me. I just tested it and it showed up om my phone in about 30 seconds. You might want to check the System Log for more information. Mine says:
Jun 11 19:40:07 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to 8135551212@vtext.com
Jun 11 19:40:08 OpenWrt mail.info msmtp: host=mail.ln9.net tls=on auth=on user=bmayland from=bmayland@capnbry.net recipients=8135551212@vtext.com mailsize=32 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 362F460061E' exitcode=EX_OK

As far as the alarm disabling itself, make sure you have the "Action" set to "Ring" and you don't have any custom script that's disabling it.

I will have to check the log once I get home tonight I will post them on here. As for the alarm disabling itself I think I had the action set to disable. I thought the meant that it wasn't going to do anything on the HM itself as I don't want that alarming in the middle of the night but I do want it to send the SMS.

Yeah there's your problem at least with the alarm disabling. For reference:
  • Action = Ring: Let the HeaterMeter keep ringing. BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. BEEP-BEEP-BEEP.
  • Action = Disable: Turn off the alarm when it rings. Never will ring again until manually re-enabled by you.
  • Action = Silence: Silence the alarm when it rings. If the temperature goes back down/up and alarm rearms, it will ring again.

Jun 12 00:16:10 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to 1234567890@vtext.com
Jun 12 00:16:11 OpenWrt mail.info msmtp: host=smtp.comcast.net tls=on auth=on user=c_kemp from=c_kemp@comcast.net recipients=1234567890@vtext.com mailsize=29 smtpstatus=250 smtpmsg='250 2.0.0 fGGA1q00B2eM90J01GGBDg mail accepted for delivery' exitcode=EX_OK

Here is a copy of my log for the alarm. I never received this message I wonder could this be a NAT issue with my router.

Well the good news is that it was sent! The bad news is that once comcast accepted the email, it did not deliver it. It is like you gave a letter to the postman and he said "I have accepted your letter and I will deliver it for you" but then he just discarded it. I'd suggest sending it through a gmail or hotmail account unless you can figure out why comcast is being a jerk about the message (because they don't tell you why they're not going to deliver it, they just don't).

Back