Smoque - restaurant review

I've been meaning to post this previously, but my family and I took a trip to Chicago recently and ate at Smoque (http://www.smoquebbq.com/) which is a relatively new BBQ restaurant in Chicago and was the subject of a Food Network episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

We ordered BB ribs, pulled pork and brisket, and sides including beans, mac and cheese, fries, cornbread and coleslaw. Overall, we liked it. The scene is very relaxed and easy, like a BBQ restaurant should be: no white tablecloths, and food served in baskets.

As for the food, well, here goes. We ordered everything dry (naked), so we could taste the meat and then add sauce. Of all the things we had, the ribs were the most disappointing. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad, but they weren't terribly meaty, and were a little tougher than my family likes.

The pulled pork was really good however. A nice mix of tender stringy insides, and some nice chewy bark. The rub was a little less spicy than mine, but very nice nonetheless. The brisket, however was our favorite. Juicy with a nice smoke ring and good beefy flavor. Again, the spice rub isn't as spicy as mine, but very tasty.

As for the sides, we really liked the BBQ sauce. Nice and vinegary, with a healthy bite. The mac and cheese was great as were the beans, full of smoky chunks of pork. The fries were nothing to write home about, and the corn bread and coleslaw were good, but not remarkable.

All things considered, a nice place and good food. I'd definitely go back. The next time I would try their spare ribs, and would have the brisket again in a heartbeat.

What was interesting however, was how well my home cooking an a WSM held up to the pros. For that I have many people on this site to whom I owe a debt of gratitude. Thanks to you all.

Bill

I'm suprised to hear you didn't find the rub very spicy. When I saw that episode of Triple D I immediately thought to myself that the rub would be awesome. If I remember correctly it consisted of about 9 or so spices and after applying the rub they top the brisket off with a heavy coating of black pepper.
I said to myself "if I ever get to Chicago I have got to try this place".
Thanks for the review.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Schmitz:

What was interesting however, was how well my home cooking an a WSM held up to the pros. For that I have many people on this site to whom I owe a debt of gratitude. Thanks to you all.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it's official the WSM & the TVWB has created another bbq snob.
icon_razz.gif
Your not alone, Bill, I'm one too....
icon_smile.gif

These days I will just stay away from the retail joints. I have walked out disappointed a few to many times. Often times the bigger the name the greater the disappointment. See…. bbq snob. I don’t quite understand the challenges to this endeavor, but there have to be some really good places out there. It’s most likely a hole in the wall, off the beaten path kind of place, not here in Orlando, FL. Smokey Bones just doesn't qualify..... oh, that’s right they have been sold off.
icon_wink.gif

Gary

"Yup, it's official the WSM & the TVWB has created another bbq snob.
icon_razz.gif
Your not alone, Bill, I'm one too....
icon_smile.gif
"

Gary:

I was so trying NOT to come off like that, but you're so right!! LOL

Bill

Have not gotten to Smoque yet. I agree with some of the others here though. I rarely go out for que anymore because it's usually disappointing. Can do better and cheaper at home!

I'm actually looking forward to the travelling Ribfest visit in a couple weeks for this very reason. Its that curiousity of how well I think i stack up compared to these guys.

In previous years I always enjoyed trying the various teams, but i'm hoping I walk away thinking "i can do better!"
icon_wink.gif

On the other hand, I know my wife will hate coming even more then in past years as this time I'll be more interested in looking at what they are cooking with and trying the different sauces. God this hobby is addictive!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but there have to be some really good places out there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One would think. But having eaten at literally many hundreds of places the reality--for me--is that, thinkng that, one would be wrong. I have had some 'really good' items here and there but these tend to be sides, not meat. Meat tends toward 'good' at best, but the vast majority fall somewhere between adequate/okay and fair. There's a healthy chunk that I'd call 'poor'.

I have a short list of places I'd like to get to and I'd add Smoque to it. There are places I'm sure I'll stumble across and try, and places I'll try again, but I've long ago abandoned the notion that I'll find outstanding Q commercially. I could yet be proven wrong.

IMO, "BBQ Snob" is a COMPLIMENT. A refined and educated palate is a wonderful thing.

As far as Seattle goes, quality Q is rare. Pecos Pit BBQ would head the list. It's a BBQ stand, not a sit down restaurant. Rain, shine or snow, it always has a line come lunch time. There are picnic benches outside for those so inclined. The menu is limited - no poultry, just sliced or pulled pork, beef or hot links with 3 temperature levels of sauce. BTW, the sauce is so good, you'll hear the heavenly choir. Oh, and they have beans! Portions are ample to overflowing.

bbqpecos+008.jpg

Pork Sammich

bbqpecos+003.jpg

Beef Sammich

bbqpecos+004.jpg

This is the small line. Usually, there are 20 - 30 people at any given time during the 5 hours a day of operation.

For the most part I agree with Kevin. I think it comes down to time, efficiency and repeatability. When I'm making something on the WSM, I can spend all sorts of time optimizing several if not dozens of various steps. In a commercial kitchen, you have to put out the exact same product, consistently, and efficiently to stay in buisness.

Sure a lot of places get a famous reputation for being the best BBQ, but many times it's the ambiance of the place that overshadows the meat they are producing.

I haven't been to as many places as Kevin has, but I can say this, even going to a place like The Salt Lick, in Austin Tx, which I absolutely loved their brisket, I still wanted to put some sauce on them, just to bring more flavor to the party. There are a lot of places ( Salt Lick included) who claim that all they put on their meat is S&P, and smoke. But I can do that at home. Give me a little variety.

Mr. C Howlett,
You have to try Pig Iron BBQ if you think Pecos pit is good. Go get a Lb. of Brisket and take a little extra sauce. Man that stuff is good. Brisket there is perfect. Here is the address and it's closer to you in Burien 5602 1st Ave S Seattle WA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
Mr. C Howlett,
You have to try Pig Iron BBQ if you think Pecos pit is good. Go get a Lb. of Brisket and take a little extra sauce. Man that stuff is good. Brisket there is perfect. Here is the address and it's closer to you in Burien 5602 1st Ave S Seattle WA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jefe:

I tried Pig Iron not long after they opened and I was underwhelmed. However, based on your thumbs up, I'll give them a 2nd chance.

The texture of those sandwiches leave a bit to be desired. I think when the meat is chopped and shredded that fine, you can hide all sorts of poor quality mistakes by adding gallons of sauces and spices.

Beats a big mac any day though.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
but there have to be some really good places out there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One would think. But having eaten at literally many hundreds of places the reality--for me--is that, thinkng that, one would be wrong. I have had some 'really good' items here and there but these tend to be sides, not meat. Meat tends toward 'good' at best, but the vast majority fall somewhere between adequate/okay and fair. There's a healthy chunk that I'd call 'poor'.
QUOTE]

Why do you think it is so hard to find? It makes no sense to me that in any given city there isn't at least one spot for really good BBQ? .... at the very least a short drive away. Odd.

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">who claim that all they put on their meat is S&P, and smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know--like this is some big deal?! This (lack of) treatment = bland and boring to me. I mean--come on--they're using mass market commercial meat, not some super-flavored pastured heritage breed.

I've not tried Pecos (if they'll serve unsauced I will) but lines of people don't necessarily mean a thing. Not saying it's the case here but numerous places I 've been with line out the door haven't held up to the visual nor the wait.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It makes no sense to me that in any given city there isn't at least one spot for really good BBQ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, it's relative. It depends on who's making the judgement call, whether they cook great Q themselves as many here do, what they grew up with, whether they have a sophisticated or broad palate--whether they 'know'what they're tasting (and whether they care). And whether they are a Q or fod snob!
icon_smile.gif

you know why I think the salt and pepper thing works. cause before i knew anything or cared anything about bbq, I knew i liked to eat it. I would go here and there and ask questions, etc. And if I was to think something was good and was replied to with "we use only salt, pepper, and smoke" I (long ago) and millions of others would think, "WOW!!, how skilled" or whatever. Because when you don't make it, and don't know different, the only taste you get is GREAT. When all of us make our own, we know that the GREAT was actually only poor or decent. Do you know how many people LOVE Rib City Grill around here, you can't imagine the lines in my area. And I think its just good food....they don't cook, study, understand, or know any different, ...and yes it is great food at that point compared to Mcdonalds next door. Also my entire family begs me for the "sweet" ribs and the "sweet rib sauce" while I don't prefer it at all most of the time, and then ask for "sweeter" and ask "is it possible next time if they can become more fall off the bone then they are now?" when they were already overdone in the first place, they think thats the magic product and wonder how I do it, they always think there boiled and don't believe me.
icon_biggrin.gif
. and when I explain my theory of "thats kind of like overcooking them to me" then they look at me like i'm wierd.
icon_smile.gif
gotta love it. so I think people have found that they can sell that way to strangers, and they do, and seems to work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It makes no sense to me that in any given city there isn't at least one spot for really good BBQ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, it's relative. It depends on who's making the judgement call, whether they cook great Q themselves as many here do, what they grew up with, whether they have a sophisticated or broad palate--whether they 'know'what they're tasting (and whether they care). And whether they are a Q or fod snob!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you find that to be the case with other food styles?

Gary

Mr. C,
The brisket is the only thing that I "really like" there. The other stuff is good but the brisket shines. Also, try their other sauces. They have 3- Honey Mustard, Regular(Awesome!) and Chipotle. All very good.

Never got to try BBQ when I visited Seattle a couple of months ago (did have some southern food at Kingfish Cafe, loved that place) if I ever go again I'll have to give these a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Bramley:

Do you find that to be the case with other food styles?

Gary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. Pizza, Chinese and Mexican are but three examples that immediately spring to mind.

Back