smoking wood

G

I have been using hickory chunks for a while now for ribs and chicken but would like to try a milder wood any segestions

Very good question Joe. It really is a matter of opinion.

My opinion says Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Oak, Adler and Pecan are all good choices. Personally I use a combination of Pecan and Apple for butts, Cherry and Apple for ribs, Hickory and Apple for chicken and Oak for beef.

I do have to order most of my flavors off the internet because locally the only thing available is Hickory and Mesquite.

If you can find it or get some Cherry and Apple try combinations of both with a little Hickory that you now have. Most any of the fruit woods have a sweeter flavor to them that will offset the overpowering Hickory and create a nice combination.

Randy

I think i like to try some fruit woods but can't find any localy will look on internet

What Randy said.
Apple, alder, and cherry will be pretty mild. Birch is mild too.
Oak can be a little strong, I mix it with cherry on beef. Hickory mixed with apple for pork.
Cherry chunks are pretty common at box stores. Don't know where you are Joe, so I don't know what stores you have. There are places on the web to order chunks. This one has pretty good prices: http://www.gassmoker.com/Woodpile/woodpile1.htm
If I'm not mistaken, free shipping on orders over $30.

Has anyone ordered form Here (scroll down). It has cherry and apple for 24.99. It says its a 20#(lb) bag but it doesn't look like it. Shipping is also cheaper then expected, to my zip code at least.

Any other good sites to order from?

I'm in the same boat as Randy when it comes to wood choices at the big name stores. We do have a BBQ specific store in town that that sell other wood chunks. I was able to get a 20lb sack of oak. They do also sell apple and cherry but in chips only. I will have to try pecan. They had that there as well but there are a lot of pecan farms around here... just been to lazy to check out of they have any knocked down or have done any trimming.

Cesar,

I had a landscaper next door to me drop off 6 nice logs of Cherry, and I will "reward" his crew with butt. Good trade off for me.
If I had Pecan farms around, I would be cutting deals for that. Pecan is a very good smoke wood. Offer one of them a trade, butt for wood. When they get a taste of what you can make for you, you'll have a lifetime supply. I'm going after hickory/oak next.

It's been noted here by other members that Cabela's is a good place for wood. They have mesquite, hickory, apple, cherry, maple, alder, 10 lbs for $9. Shipping charges are based on total dollar amount, not weight, making shipping reasonable for this type of item. I think shipping for 30 lbs would be <$7 if I'm not mistaken.

Ya I need to. I talked to a friend 2 weeks ago that I just found out loves bbq also. He said he pays a guy to bring him wood for winter but since he gives him a rack of ribs he separates the fruit wood and takes it to him.

Back