Smoking Wood

ChristopherB

I found a pretty good deal today on smoking wood,
but the chunks are about twice the size that is recommended for the WSM (tennis ball x2). Will that be a problem?

Hi Christopher,

sometimes i use bigger chunks but 4 small chunks will make more smoke than 2 big one, where smoke will last longer ...

Personally i want a lot of smoke in the first hour of cooking, after that i often stop smoking

Christopher. A small hatchet held in one hand as a wedge, and a dead blow hammer or mallet used as a striking tool is a pain-free and safe method for splitting larger chunks into whatever size ya need. Just follow the grain.

Tim

Dave,
I grew up in Brentwood, in the 50's. North Saltair
Do you mean miter box? How do you anchor the larger chunks, so you can cut them? I could try the hatchet method, but I would have to cut across the grain in order to get the right size pieces.

I destroyed my mitre saw by trying to cut round pieces of wood on it. The blade got locked to the wood, and then chrushed the gearbox.

I often use larger pieces than fistsized, and I have no problems with my smokes.

Originally posted by ChristopherB:
but the chunks are about twice the size that is recommended for the WSM (tennis ball x2).

What is the recommended size? I've always read "fist sized chunks" which depending on the fist is what 4-4 1/2" A tennis ball is close to 2 1/2", so you're chunks are about 5"?
If ya have a vice or a clamp use a bow saw or sawzall with a pruning blade to slice in half.

Tim

My chunks are the right width (about 3"), but they are about 8" long, so I need to cut them in half. The problem is that I'd be cutting across the grain, so I think the hatchet method is out. Sorry for this elementary question, but I'm a city boy.

The hatchet is used for splitting with the grain into smaller fillets. You need a saw of some type with a clamp or vise to hold the chunks set on a work-table to cut in half or thirds.

Tim

Chris, when we say mitre saw, we mean a 10" or 12" miter saw you can purchase at any home improvement store or hardware store. But for the amount of use you are describing, I would just go and buy a simple hand saw. While staying in the mountains last fall, my bro-inlaw and I came upon a few apple and hickory trees. I quickly called my wife (out shopping of course) and told her to stop on the way home and pick up a hand saw. The simple $8.00 investment and a little effort resulted in almost three 5 gallon buckets of apple chunks and tree of hickory as well! I think a hand saw will fit your needs perfectly.
Tim

So, you're talking about a power tool that would probably cost more than the few dollars I'm saving by buying the bulk wood, right? I have a crosscut hand saw. I just can't think of a way to secure these chunks while I cut them. I have some "C" clamps, but I don't think they will do the trick.

If you split them in half first, clamp the flat side down on a bench with the half you want to cut hanging over. Or if you have some scrap 2x4"s you could screw them down and use as a trough to help hold the limbs from rolling.
Edit: are these chunks round, square or irregular?

Tim

Well, I managed to squeeze a few chunks into my bench vise, and cut some pieces with my hand saw. A lot of work, but it will get me by, until I find a better method...like convincing my supplier to cut it into smaller chunks. All i can say is my tri tip better be really good tomorrow.
I'm using red oak for authentic Santa Maria.

Christopher. I'm a Carpenter and a good sharp hand saw is what you need for hardwoods.
I love red oak on beef me-self.
I'm sure yours will turn out great.

Tim

Back