Smoking Wood from a Cabinet shop?????

Nothing wrong with it at all. As a bonus, you never have to worry about bark, and you can be extremely uniform in the amount you use from cook to cook.

two thoughts. They guy says, no chemicals, etc. So that is good (and hopefully reputable).

But I've heard some comments about kiln dried woods... that it is too dry to actually impart the smoke flavor like naturally seasoned woods. Perhaps someone can pipe in with more info?

I have used cabinet shop scraps for years, as have others I know. It works great. It also saves some money for the cabinet shop as they don't need to toss as much waste. I routinly get oak, cherry, and alderwood from my local guy.

I have used some of my cherry scraps for smoking with excellent results.... particularly with poultry.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I have used some of my cherry scraps for smoking with excellent results.... particularly with poultry.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a side note, there was two different guys around here with roadside chicken stands set up. I stopped one time to get some to take home after work, got right back into my car when I saw he was using scrap skids/pallets for fuel. Who knows WHAT was sitting on them before he got a hold of them lol.

I have a friend in town who owns a wood distribution company. This morning he gave me some samples of cherry, white oak, maple and cedar. All untreated with chemicals or varnishes.

The cherry and oak are no-brainers.

I assume that the maple is Ok for smoking purposes, although perhaps not optimal.

But what about cedar? I can't imagine that cedar is a good smoke wood, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Sal

My cousin who lives in the bay area is coming over for Thanksgiving just picked up the wood for me (at the above link). He said the scraps (chunks) look great and the gentleman who is selling the wood is very helpful and accommodating. He sells the wood on ebay also if anyone is interested.

Sal,
Cedar isn't a good smoke wood if you are talking to someone in the States. Some in Europe say it's okay and point to the fact that Black Forest hams are smoked over pine (Frankly, I think the wood is burned down to coals, largely eliminating the noxious resins, but what do I know).

Only thing I use cedar for is planked salmon, but it's soaked in water and doesn't really burn much (the cedar) during the cooking process.

Back