Smoking with Mequite vs. Hickory?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I have found these two smoking woods most popular in my local home depot, walmart, etc. I could only find the large chunks in mequite, but that flavor does not seem as popular in my book or on this board. Do any of you use that flavor smoke? What is best for ribs, pork butt, etc? I know it's largely personal, but what is most popular?

also, my third round of ribs came out great. What causes the pink color in the meat, is that the smoking? thx for all the tips.

David,
A good friend of mine just gave me a large trash bag full of mesquite logs split and about 18" long. A real gift. I find that hickory gives a good BBQ taste for ribs and butt and brisket. I usually mix hickory and a a fruit wood like apple.
Mesquite really enhances beef and other meats, but gives it a somewhat different flavor. Do not be afraid to experiment.

Davidd,

For pork, I like hickory with a little cherry mixed in. For chicken, I use apple wood. Any fruit wood works great. I do not use mesquite very often. I find it to be overpowering at times.

As a newbie, so far I've only used mesquite because, like you said, it's available at home depot (and pretty much everywhere else).

I smoked a pork butt with it this weekend (my first butt, yay) and I think that smoke-wise it turned out great. I had a little of the left-overs for lunch and the bark, ohhhh the bark.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm planning on using cherry and/or apple the next time.

Hickory and fruit wood for pork - I would like to try pecan and alder eventually too.

As for mesquite I love it on big slabs of beef (prime rib, brisket,london broil), but I use it rather sparingly, just to flavor the meat. I do notice however my family don't seem to like mesquite all that much.

Jim, I have looked into getting Pecan wood here but no such luck. I checked thru Flemmings Meat Market and his supplier wouldn't even look into it for him because of cost. I once saw it at Gander Mountain and when I inquired there I got looked at like I was nuts. I read in here where people have used pecan shells also but that would be alot of pecans to crack. My only hope now is to wait for the snow birds to return next spring and my friend brings me a load back as he said he would.

David,

I personally like mesquite, I like hickory also. You will find that people all have their opinions and preferences. My feeling is you have to try different things to see what you and the people you are cooking for - enjoy. I really enjoy a strong smoke flavor, hickory provides strong flavor. Mesquite is a strong flavor but in my opinion not as strong as hickory. I had peach available to me and it seems much milder.

I had my WSM a couple of years before checking this website out, I have learned a lot from the people on the site. I have also learned that if you are happy with the woods that you use and the way you prepare the food - that is all that really matters.

So try a lot of different things, or not, but have fun doing it.

Tom

Thanks for the link Bob, had not heard of that place.

Gary - there are a lot of orchards in our area, are you aware of any that sell the wood for smoking (apple or cherry?).

I really like Mesquite for short applications - like when grilling something. Gives some flavor in just a little bit of time. But for longer cooks, I'm not a mesquite fan. I am a huge hickory fan. Even when using fruit woods, I often throw in a chunk or two of hickory. It's the flavor I associate with bbq... and straight hickory works well too. It's a great all around smoke wood. You won't go wrong with it.

I stayed away from mesquite for the longest time. I finally tried it a few months back. I used it on a butt over brisket. They both were fantastic. I have worked my way up to 3 small pieces. I think I could go a bit more. I have not ever used it on ribs and don't know if I will ever try. I do like to use chips on my grill when I cook hamburgers.

Hickory on the other hand is another story. I used to use it all the time til I over smoked some ribs a few years back. Now when I use it stands out even when used lightly. I hardly use hickory anymore.

Jim I am not aware of any orchards that sell wood. I would contact local orchards as they are generally replaceing trees and pruneing in Februaury. For Cherry contact maybe a local lumber mill. I know of a place in Brown City my brother in law buys his wood for his stove. Cut, split, and delivered rather cheap. If you want I can drop you off the number or how to contact him at the market.

Jeff, I thought the same thing about hickory until I mixed it with oak. The butts came out great. The oak takes that harsh edge off of the hickory.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I stayed away from mesquite for the longest time. I finally tried it a few months back. I used it on a butt over brisket. They both were fantastic. I have worked my way up to 3 small pieces. I think I could go a bit more. I have not ever used it on ribs and don't know if I will ever try. I do like to use chips on my grill when I cook hamburgers.

Hickory on the other hand is another story. I used to use it all the time til I over smoked some ribs a few years back. Now when I use it stands out even when used lightly. I hardly use hickory anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just picked up some Mesquite Lump charcoal, I havent used it yet, has anyone tried this, or just chunks added to their charcoal.

Back