Smoking Wings Questions

Steve Parker

Alright, So I've done pork butts quite a bit and I think I'm going to move on to wings but i have some questions for those that have done it..... 1) How high of a temp should i go so the skin isnt slimy and what tips would you offer and 2) where is there a good price on wings so I'm not paying outrageous prices like some of the locals stores here are charging...

THanks in advance.

I do them high heat. In my 22 WSM I light 1 1/2 chimneys, foiled pan. 30 min, then flip for 30 more. I do a dry marinate with rub and they are great!

Steve,

You can smoke them until they are almost done, then take off the center section and grill them to get the crisp skin. I do not know your food chains out there but I don't pay more than $1.79 lb.

Steve,

You can easily go 400-425. I never fry my wings; always grill at those temps. I use a dry rub and little smoke wood. Local members will have to give you suggestions on sources for wings.

Paul

I do them relatively high heat, maybe 250-325. Cook for 90 minutes or so and then sauce (optional) and finish over the direct coals.

Steve - I like to pay less than $2/lb. Preferably much less, but that doesn't happen often. I put 24 dry wings on the top rack of the WSM and cook at 350+ with the waterpan removed. They get as crispy as deep fried, but taste better. And you feel much better after you wolf down a dozen of them swimming in hot sauce.

I just did some jerked wings the other day. I did high heat. The lids thermometer was buried. It was over 350. I cooked them somewhere around 50 minutes to an hour.

photo-16.jpg

For crispy wings cook at a high heat, anywhere from 325-450 but I like it up in the 400's. Unwrap the wings and let them air dry in the fridge for a few hours. I toss mine with some EVOO and whatever I'm using for spices just before cooking them. Come out crispy every time.

Steve,

B Harper's pic prodded my memory. When I do 'wings' I usually end up mostly buying 'drumettes'. I find the drumettes have much more meat.

Paul

Back