Smoking Whole Turkey Breast

Paul, Recent thread on a turkey breast cook. Link for you.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Guys you rock. First time doing turkey. I am not going to brine this one and see how it comes out. rub or not to rub is the question.

Paul

If you in the future decide to brine one, you might want try Chris's brine recipe, in the cooking topics, I think it's great. My family will be finishing up a turkey breast I smkoked earlier this week, for lunch today. john

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Paul

If you in the future decide to brine one, you might want try Chris's brine recipe, in the cooking topics, I think it's great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep that's a good one. Keri C has a good one also. Keri's Apple Honey Brine
And this one. I took my favs from the Chris A & Keri C recipes and combined them somewhat. Apple Honey Brine.
icon_smile.gif

The next one I do I will Brine. I just didn't have time this weekend to let it soak. But I am looking forward to smoked turkey sandwiches this week.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan

Yours and Keri's brine look good, I think I'l try both of them in the near future. I can't get over hoe moist and tasty the brine made the turkey.

Bryan I hope you read this, I wanted to thank you for pushing the foilded water pan, about an inch or so above the bottom, instead of water in the pan, or clay pot etc. I used foil method a couple of times now including my 6.5 lb turkey breast i just smoked this week, and it works great. Happy smoking. John

As long as we're throwing brines around, here's one of my favorites along with some PICTURES

2 cups maple syrup
1 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon pickling spice
Remainder of bucket filled with water
1 cup Kosher salt per gallon of water added
I brine 24 hours, then air dry in fridge for 12 hours

As you see in the pictures I also ice the breast to promote even cooking. I used Cherry on this bird and it was an excellent complement to the brine. Enjoy!

Honestly I don't know. Maybe Kevin K. can shed some light on pickling spice in brines. It does make the brine smell great though.

From my smart phone, please excuse typos.

hmmm well I am going to have to try that then with the next Turkey.

I put the turkey on at 3:00 temp is holding at 276 have 2 of the vents completely closed with the third a fraction of the way open.

Larry I have both a BlackBerry and a treo how does this site show up on that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry I have both a BlackBerry and a treo how does this site show up on that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a Treo with Mini Opera loaded on it. This site actually displays quite nicely on it . . . just much smaller. Mini Opera is pretty cool and I like it much better than the browser that came with my Treo. You can use your finger to move the page around similar to an Iphone . . . but not as cool. It's great for replying to posts while I'm trapped at the mall with the SO
icon_frown.gif

I would think it would. Opera Mini

The spices in the brine are for flavoring. If you simmer them in some of the water from the brine first, they will better release flavors into the brine. (It is also easier to dissolve the salt, sugar (if using--some recipes do) and sticky stuff like syrups and honey into heated water.) Cool before or after finishing the brine, but definitely cool before adding the meat.

So can I just say that my Turkey came out fantastic. When I carved I had juices coming from anywhere. I don't think I have ever had such a juicy bird. YUUUM!!!
Wish I spent Thanksgiving here in NH instead of Buffalo NY with the inlaws I would cook the turkey every year.

Back