Smoking under cover

Rick Rockwell

TVWBB Member
I'm thinking about making a trial run tomorrow with my WSM inside my 8X12 tool shed. I think about it during every winter smoke when I'm freezing my B***s off and fighting the wind. The shed is ventilated and I can leave the door open. Aside from the risk of nearby combustibles and the concerns over carbon monoxide, is there anything I'm not thinking about that would make this a singularly bad idea?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Rockwell:
Aside from the risk of nearby combustibles and the concerns over carbon monoxide, is there anything I'm not thinking about that would make this a singularly bad idea? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I think you covered the main reasons NOT to do it. But if you must then I would suggest removing the combustables and rigging an exhaust fan. Also make sure you have a heat barrier under your smoker. Oh, and a canary to warn you of carbonmonoxide would be good.

Have fun!

Mark

As long as you have lots of fresh air coming in and something to exhaust the smoke you should be fine. If your smoker doesn't have the pan under the smoker, a metal plate should be used as well. Other then that the only problem I see it making you tools smell like bbq and eating them one day, lol
icon_biggrin.gif

I have all mine in a shed dedicated to smoking. It has two floors with an opening in the ceiling that takes the smoke up and out. Also have a vent on one wall and another on the opposite wall at floor level. Works great and keep everything out of the weather.
shed001.jpg

shed013.jpg

shed009.jpg

Hey Tom!
icon_smile.gif
.. what do ya think of the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
icon_confused.gif
... how smokey are the ribs you cook in it? .. I've often wondered if they would be effective for folks who live in condos etc.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile.gif

It actually works pretty good. It has a fairly large box to put wood chips in, but it will actually hold a fairly good size piece of wood. It has a tube that pulls out to drop wood in so you don't have to open the door to replenish the wood supply.

You gotta be kidding me Tom. You have an entire room built in your backyard dedicated to smoking? That's just straight G. Totally awesome. You sir, are the man.

Now I need some backyard space...

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gallo:
You gotta be kidding me Tom. You have an entire room built in your backyard dedicated to smoking? That's just straight G. Totally awesome. You sir, are the man.

Now I need some backyard space...

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes sir, I do. The roof also retracts and rolls down the side of the building, but I usually leave it up.

This forum is amazing if you think you have seen it all just wait something else will come along and blow you away. Tom outstanding work.

Back