Smoking turkey

Mickey Murphy

TVWBB Member
Hey fellow smokees!

Gonna try to roast a turkey on Monday. Don't have much of a time frame, so I wanted something that would be done fairly quickley. I'm gonna shoot for a 10-12 lbs self basting turkey. Since it is self basting, do you think it is okay to do it without brining it?? Also the Weber website uses the standard method, with vents open 100%. I have time so, I'm gonna use the MM and go with a 240-250 lid temp. What do you guys think??sound good or any suggestions.

Mickey:

I'll let others chime in re: brining a self-basting turkey, but I would recommend cooking at a much higher temp: like 350+.

My opinion is that there isn't a benefit to going low and slow with a turkey, as opposed to a pork butt, where you are trying to using the low heat and long cooking time to tenderize a tough fatty cut of meat.

In addition, low and low turns your skin on a chicken or turkey rubbery. To get crispy skin, you need the higher temp. With some chunks for smoke, you will get lots of good flavor even with a higher temp and less time on the smoker.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Bill

I'm looking to do one of these, so I'm interested how it came out. I understand that the self-basting accomplishes something similar to brining, which would make the whole thing pretty easy, it seems. I hope it came out well.

Back