Smoking Tips of the Newbs, By a Newb, For the Newbs

Thad

I'm a newb and I'm three smokes in and can't get enough. So far, chicken, butt, ABT's, butt, more ABT's. Brisket next. I read a lot on the site and learned alot. Thanks for all the previous experience and lessons. A couple things as a newb that I wanted to pass along to other newbs:

1) Relax. You're not cooking meat in a 700 degree pizza oven or under a broiler. It's a long slow process and very forgiving within a pretty wide range of cook temps.

2) Get to know your smoker. At the outset, I say don't mess with external thermometers or other temp controlling gadgets. Just smoke. Rub a butt (preferably a pig's), refrigerate, and let it fly. Follow the lid gauge and some basic instructions provided on this site and see what happens. Keep it simple at first and get a feel for your smoker. Add the complexity later.

3) Don't obsess over cook temps. There's a reason that the lid temp gauge has a 75 degree range for smoking. It's not an exact science. It's a forgiving cooking method. It's hard to completely screw it up. Keep it somewhere in the ballpark and you'll be fine.

4) Start with one or two meats at a time. Early on, I say one piece per smoke myself. Again, keep it simple. Don't try to cook four butts for a party of 50 on your first smoke. Do one split/cut chicken first. Fire it up, open all vents and let er rip for an hour. Then, move to a single butt and get a feel for temp regulation with the water pan and the vents.

5) Allow some time for temp regulation. Don't panic if your temp regulation moves don't take effect immediately. Again, this a slow moving process, like steering an oceanliner versus a Cobalt skiboat. It takes a little time for temps to regulate. Take a breath.

6) Internal temp and feel are the most important things. Nothing matters more than whether the meat is done or not. Get a thermapen from thermoworks and make sure the meat is done. Whether you smoked your butt at 280 or 220, make sure it's tender and done before you pull it.

I'll stop there. Just wanted to share some of my experiences. This thing produces wonderful finished products. You just gotta let it do its thing.

You nailed it, Thad.
It's kind of fun to jump around and make it look like you really are doing important stuff.
But the food doesn't care.
Thanks for contributing.

Here are some pixx:

The First Renowned Mr. Brown: Smoker got a little hot and had trouble keeping temps inside smoking range, but came out great in about 10 hours (7.5lb butt). No mop, no sop, no slop, just set it and forget it. Came out perfect. Pulled off smoker at about 195-200 internal temp.

227m.jpg

Second Renowned Mr. Brown: Cooked overnight. Started at 11pm, managed temps better, kept b/w 220 and 240 all night. Pulled at 11am next day. Like a knife thru butter perfect. 8.5lb butt done in about 12 hours. Apple and pecan wood.

245s.jpg

Mmmmmmm. That baby is barking at me.

248v.jpg

You can't see her, but trust me, she's in there. The bear claws are ready for action in about 3 hours.

251k.jpg

Great job on dem butts, Thad - and by the way, the more pictures you post, the more popular you are around here....
icon_wink.gif

And finally, just out of curiosity, from whence do ye hail?

OK Thad,
It's offical. With your first couple of posts that well done, You are no longer able to call youself a "Newb". Rookie maybe.
icon_wink.gif

Good Job.

can't agree with the others more--with your great advice and great pics, Thad, you seem more like an old pro than a newb! Keep em coming!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The WSM has been a blast so far. And much easier to use without worry thanks to this forum. After a few more smokes, as a newb myself, I wanted to update my list a bit for other newbs to reference.

7) Review Point 1 above.

8) As others have said all over this forum, for low and slow, it seems easier to catch the temps and hold on the way up than it is to ratchet them back down after they've fired to 275 or 300. During some smokes I struggle to keep it under 250 with all three bottom vents closed if I let it get up to temp too quickly. But, don't obsess if it gets there, just check it a little sooner maybe.

9) Not new news here, but the WSM does seem to be a little "HOT" right out of the package. It takes a few smokes to get some gunk up under the lid which does seem to help temp regulation.

10) Having done both ways, I will say that I much prefer cooking without water. Cleanup with water and grease and drippings even foiling the pan is just a mess. I now foil the water pan and foil a Fiesta Ware serving bowl and drop the foiled bowl inside the foiled water pan and away we go. Cleanup is a breeze. If you don't know Fiesta Ware, go:HERE. It's good stuff and you can cook with it.

11) I may need some help on this one from the experts, but direct sunlight DEFINITELY appears to impact the lid temp gauge. What I don't know is how much it impacts the actual cooking temp. My supposition is that it DOES bring the cook temp up also. My WSM is in a spot that gets a few hours of sun in the heat of the day. On my recent smokes, I've gotten temp regulated in the morning in the shade and then when direct sun hits the temps seem to spike for the few hours of sunlight and come back down when back in the shade. This is a pretty obvious point, but sun is another variable to account for and direct sun may be hindering you in keeping temps down.

12) I love using the ThermaPen from ThermoWorks for checking the meat temps. It's $100, but it's darn near instant read and one of the most accurate therms out there. And as we know temp is only a guide, but it's got a nice long probe on it to get deep internal temps on a big butt and to also check for feel. To me, remote therms and constant monitoring of temps are a little unnecessary and create more worry than good. But that's just me.

That's all for now. Go rub a butt (a pig's, not your own) and get started.

All spot-on advice, Thad!

One thing I notice, you have an empty lower grate in your WSM. No need to keep it in there if you're not using it. Just gives you another thing to clean.
icon_smile.gif

Thad,

Welcome from a fellow Arkansan. Looks like you are off to a great start. I have been smoking meat for years but bought my WSM in May, I think, and started reading the great advice on this site. My cooking has improved greatly since, mostly due to learning to use a probe to tell when it's time to pull the meat. If you need smoke wood, I know a guy in Conway that sells it. They have a farm up north and he has several different kinds of wood. I bought some pecan and cherry from him. He cuts it about 10" long and splits it into small pieces just right for smoking. I just bought a stack of pecan from him that was the height and width of a pickup bed X 2 for $50. I'm up to my ears in pecan, but it's my favorite.
GO HOGS!!!!!

Greg

Thad,
Great info! I took me a while to have patience and let it be, too.
Welcome to the site. I've been working way too much these past few months, but looking forward to smoking some ribs and chicken for Thanksgiving this year. Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving.

4) Start with one or two meats at a time. Early on, I say one piece per smoke myself. Again, keep it simple. Don't try to cook four butts for a party of 50 on your first smoke.

I am repeatedly utterly amazed at how many posts there are like:

"Hi. First time here. Got a Smokey Mountain today. Never smoked before. Got 75 people coming over for a birthday party day after tomorrow. Want to feed them brisket and pulled pork. How many pounds of meat do I need? Any tips?"

Back