Smoking shrimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
My neighbor wants to trade me for some of my wonderful venison jerky I made for some gigantic jumbo fresh shrimp.

Is it easy to smoke shrimp? Does it actually taste good? I've never heard of anyone doing it, but found some smoked shrimp you can buy on the web. I'm guessing wrapping it in bacon would help.

I dont eat shrimp but my wife does, I let it marinate in itallian dressing overnight and then smoke, I am not sure of the time on smoking. I do remember smoking at 250 with a full rack. Seems like it took 3-4 hours.

Everyone loved it. I was using the Brinkman smoker and used both grates going in diff direction so shrimp wouldnt fall through.

I've tried em whole, in the shell after cooking something else, it took about 1/2 hour at 225*F. The ones I used had grit in them so I wasn't impressed.
Also tried peeled and on skewers along with a whole chicken, again about 1/2 hour. The smoke flavour was more noticeable without the shells on, but then again the smoke wood wasn't fully consumed that time.

morgan

Great idea...I love shrimp. (esp. grilled shrimp).

I would have to peel mine and de-vein them because I can't stand the grit otherwise.

My question to add to this would be about bacon wrapping them. Shrimp cook very fast in relation to bacon. Should one precook the bacon a bit before wrapping the shrimp with it in order to make it all safe to eat?

If you butterflied the shrimp, streched the bacon thin with the back of a knife then loaded onto skewers (or individually with toothpicks) you could probably increase the temperature (20 minutes @ ~275). Might be hard to get nice crispy bacon without turning the shrimp to rubber. Sounds like a great appetizer, if you do it, let us know.

morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back